banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

balancing treble/bass w/ single coil bridge and humbucker neck in a Tele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• balancing treble/bass w/ single coil bridge and humbucker neck in a Tele?

Hi everybody,

I have a problem that I'm sure people have run into in the past. I have a Telecaster with a single coil in the bridge (SD Jerry Donahue) and a humbucker in the neck (SD vintage mini HB). They're both run through 500K volume and tone pots. As many of you know, 500K pots are recommended for humbuckers but are described as quite bright for single coil guitars.

Beautiful sounding pickups, but only one problem: I have to EQ them differently in order to get them to sound right.

The bridge PU is REALLY clangy and trebley - it really only sounds full and great when the bass is turned up close to full and the mids and trebles are turned down to about a third of what they're normally at. When I have it in this configuration, the neck pickup sounds way too bassy and has little clarity.

The neck PU sounds best when I have nearly the opposite configuration - bass turned down to less than a third, mids and trebles turned close to full. Very clear, balanced sound with trebles poking out the top. Of course, the bridge PU becomes a harsh sounding, clangy nightmare with this EQ setting.

-

I suspect part of the problem is that they're both being run through 500K pots. An ideal solution would be to separate them - 250K for the bridge, 500K for the neck PU. Two problems - 1. I'd rather not have extra pots installed (standard Tele configuration, not the deluxe one), 2. while there ARE concentric pots, I haven't been able to find any large stacked concentric pots that are both 250K (I can find 250/500 and 500/500, but not 250/250).

Are there any other solutions to this problem? Could I put 250Ks in the guitar, but have some of the low end of the neck PU go to ground (simulating 500K pots)?

Re: balancing treble/bass w/ single coil bridge and humbucker neck in a Tele?

All you need to do is to wire a 500K resistor in parallel with the pot for your 1st switch position. This will present a 250K load to the pickup and bleed off enough treble that it sounds more normal while not effecting the 500K load for the neck humbucker.

Last edited by idsnowdog; 10-01-2013, 01:47 PM.

Comment

That's an interesting idea. Does it respond well as the pot is turned down?

Comment

Or have the tone control only for the bridge pickup. The wire from the tone gets connected to the switch lug that the bridge hot lead is on.

Comment

Working...
        X