Strat Pup Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Pup Recommendations

Now that I have a really nice Strat, it needs some really nice pickups.

Looking for some real down and dirty heavy rock and blues pickups. While also maintaining that classic Strat tone. Doesn't need to be hum-cancelling, doesn't need to be true single coil. I would prefer them all to be humbucking or single coil though, as opposed to having just one pup be noise cancelling. Really just want a bit punchier, beefier strat sound, especially in the bridge position, which is what I find to be the weakest of all on a strat, as it's usually too thin and weak. So I want it powerful, but I still want it to sound strat-like.

As far as amps go I mainly play an Orange OR50h. I mostly play dirty sounds, but I like to be able to roll of the volume to go from all out insanity to a nice semi-clean tone.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Re: Strat Pup Recommendations

Looking for some real down and dirty heavy rock and blues pickups. While also maintaining that classic Strat tone. Doesn't need to be hum-cancelling,
    Antiquity Strat set with the extra hot bridge pickup.

Surfers are A5 rod magnets

Texas Hots are A2 rod magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
      Antiquity Strat set with the extra hot bridge pickup.

Surfers are A5 rod magnets

Texas Hots are A2 rod magnets.
      How would a surfer sound in the middle with Texas Hots in the bridge and neck? And how would that compare to something like Fender Texas Specials? That combo sounds like a winner on paper.

Comment

I have the surfers and Texas hots in two different Strats. Can't really say how they would sound together. Out of the two guitars that I mentioned I think I like the Surfers a bit more. I never really considered mixing them due to the a2 a5 thing. The Surfers drive really well but I think the Texas hots have some really nice sparkle
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I have the Texas hots and the Texas specials installed in two separate strats. The hots are much warmer sounding than the specials. To me, the special bridge is unusably bright. I plan on replacing it, but the Texas hot is staying where it is.

Comment

Antiquity II Surf, with RW/RP middle and Custom Bridge are hard to beat.
            My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
            My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Don't mean to thread jack, but I've been wondering what set of P90's would fit this description as well.

Edit: And by P90 I mean true soapbar sized P90.
              Last edited by EET_FUK; 10-02-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X