• Show
Clear All

• Spin a split wiring for SG

Click image for larger version

Name:	TONE RIDER SPIN A SPLIT NECK AND COIL SPLIT BRIDGE FOR SG !!.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	5830441

I made this tone diagram using various wiring diagrams for coil split and spin-a-split mods whilst applying it to tonerider pickups color scheme. Can anyone tell me if this is correct / incorrect ? Looks ok to me but hey.... Im no expert! I aimed to achieve a spin-a-split neck HB along with a coil split push/push Bridge HB... Anyone ?? (I hope all the ground connections are ok ...)
    -RG Air Norton/Megadrive
    -Hard Ash Strat Amdusias set
    -JPM100 x2 PAF pro/Super D + Breed/Transition
    -Vigier Shawn Lane Aph1-n/Norton
    -Suhr SSS Strat V60/V60/ML Bridge (SSCII)
    -RG7 BKP Brutes

Re: Spin a split wiring for SG

The spin-a-split looks right. It's really such a simple mod, and does so much. Looking at the lugs from the bottom, the left is grounded to the pot casing, and the right is unused. The middle lug has the two wires from the PU that are normally paired together. That gradually shuts off one coil of a humbucker, and as you dial it down, gives you unbalanced coils all the way to full coil cut.

The reason I use spin-a-split there is that in my entire life I've never once turned down the tone pot on a neck HB. I've always wanted more treble and a sharper high-end for that slot. So a traditional tone pot on the neck was there for looks and symmetry, not function. The bridge slot is where some players will want to reduce treble, and a tone pot has a purpose (having spin-a-split precludes the use of a tone pot, unless you want to add another pot for tone).
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I read somewhere that to have BOTH TONE CONTROL AND SPIN A SPLIT from 1 tone knob !

"Connect the middle terminal of the pot to ground instead. Fit the tone cap between the RIGHT terminal on the tone and the hot on the volume pot, and connect the coil-split junction to the left terminal of the tone.
      Now, you get single coil with the tone knob on 10, full humbucker with it on about 8, and normal tone control (on the humbucker sound) below that. The range of split tones isn't huge, but it isn't anyway so there's really no need to waste the whole pot on it.
      The only thing you lose is the ability to have a rolled-down tone on the single-coil sound."

What do you think ?!?! Should I do this instead ???
      -RG Air Norton/Megadrive
      -Hard Ash Strat Amdusias set
      -JPM100 x2 PAF pro/Super D + Breed/Transition
      -Vigier Shawn Lane Aph1-n/Norton
      -Suhr SSS Strat V60/V60/ML Bridge (SSCII)
      -RG7 BKP Brutes

Comment

Originally posted by evh_slash View Post
        I read somewhere that to have BOTH TONE CONTROL AND SPIN A SPLIT from 1 tone knob !

"Connect the middle terminal of the pot to ground instead. Fit the tone cap between the RIGHT terminal on the tone and the hot on the volume pot, and connect the coil-split junction to the left terminal of the tone.
        Now, you get single coil with the tone knob on 10, full humbucker with it on about 8, and normal tone control (on the humbucker sound) below that. The range of split tones isn't huge, but it isn't anyway so there's really no need to waste the whole pot on it.
        The only thing you lose is the ability to have a rolled-down tone on the single-coil sound."

What do you think ?!?! Should I do this instead ???
        You don't need a tone pot on a neck PU, a basic spin-a-split is all you need for that slot. You might want to do that with a bridge PU though.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
        X