Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phat Cat with Custom 5?

Hello, new member here.

I am thinking of putting a SH-14 in the bridge of a PRS SE Tremonti custom, and was wondering if phat cats pair up well with the Custom 5.

My other ideas are SH-1 or SH-2 in the neck.

I like the black keys, but also want to be able to play some metal and classic rock.

Re: Phat Cat with Custom 5?

Originally posted by Karura View Post
    Hello, new member here.

I am thinking of putting a SH-14 in the bridge of a PRS SE Tremonti custom, and was wondering if phat cats pair up well with the Custom 5.

My other ideas are SH-1 or SH-2 in the neck.

I like the black keys, but also want to be able to play some metal and classic rock.
    They might - it certainly sounds like a plan. I've got a Phat Cat bridge and it rocks. One of those might even go in the neck position
    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

I'd go with a '59 or Jazz in the neck slot. Phat Cats can be very dark PU's in the neck slots of mahogany guitars (overwound with A2 magnets). I'm assuming you want treble from your neck PU. If you want a HB-sized P-90, GFS Mean 90's are very popular here.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

The Custom 5 is my go to bridge pickup. I would also say the GFS mean 90 would be a good choice. It's a good pickup and the price is right too.

Comment

I heard that the Phat Cats are muddy, so good call on "wanting something brighter in the neck". I think I definitely do want a brighter sound, since I won't be coil splitting, a brighter sound should do well for Black Keys kinda stuff, or maybe even Jimmy Page Stairway to heaven kinda thin-yet-bright classic rock tones.

How "dark" exactly are the Phat Cats? What i mean is, is it so trivial that I can just dial in more mid/treble on the amp to change it, or is the whole pickup muddy?

Also thanks for suggesting the Mean P90. I checked it out, and the tone + price is great!! My only gripe is with the aesthetics. I know tone should come first, and it totally is capable of Black Keys's over-wound single coil tones, but I was really hoping that the SD Phat Cats would do (apparently not optimal) so I can have matching bridge/neck pickup looks. I know tone matters but D:

So let's say if I decide to omit the Phat Cats, would the SH-1 or SH-2 be better for my purposes? From what I'm guessing, the SH-2 is darker, less middy and bright? Cheers

Comment

Problem is that in some guitars, Phat Cats in the neck slot can be very dark, darker than any humbucker I've played. They're better in bright woods, like Strats. If you want a bight, clear neck P-90, Mean 90's are a bargain. JazzN's are also bright and clear. Depends on whether you want a single coil or HB sound. Both are excellent choices.
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              Problem is that in some guitars, Phat Cats in the neck slot can be very dark, darker than any humbucker I've played. They're better in bright woods, like Strats. If you want a bight, clear neck P-90, Mean 90's are a bargain. JazzN's are also bright and clear. Depends on whether you want a single coil or HB sound. Both are excellent choices.
              Cool, thanks for the input. So to add to what you've said, would the 59 (SH-1) be less bright than the JazzN? Or less mids.

Comment

Originally posted by Karura View Post
                would the 59 (SH-1) be less bright than the JazzN? Or less mids.
                Both have A5 magnets, that gives both of them a sharp high-end and scooped mids. '59N's can be bassy/boomy in thick-bodied, warm-toned guitars, like LP's.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Pearly Gates neck, and it goes great with the C5.

I put the PGn ahead of the 59n and JazzN because of it's beautiful voice on rhythm playing, since it's balanced and sweet sounding. It has a nice feel under the fingers and isn't too tubby like the 59 or hard like the Jazz.

And the PGn has a nice vintage voice that's got a nice treble response, where many other A2 necks are darker and/or woofy.

If I could do it all over again, the PGn would be in the neck position of all my humbucking guitars. By default, I assumed the 59n was the standard, but not anymore. The PGn is a favorite of Warren Haynes as well.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                    I put the PGn ahead of the 59n and JazzN because of it's beautiful voice on rhythm playing, since it's balanced and sweet sounding. It has a nice feel under the fingers and isn't too tubby like the 59 or hard like the Jazz.

And the PGn has a nice vintage voice that's got a nice treble response, where many other A2 necks are darker and/or woofy.
                    The OP said he 'definitely wants a brighter sound', so scratch a PGN. To my ears PGN's are pretty warm and don't have much high-end in mahogany guitars. Kind of smooth and mellow. For an A2 neck HB, I much prefer A2P's and Seth's, both have more high-end; a more aggressive, cutting sound. I don't think PG's can compete with them. I've had a couple PG sets and ended up selling them. Neck's too warm, bridge is too bright.

With him wanting a bright neck PU, I still think a JazzN, '59N, or Mean 90 are more what he wants.

Comment

To my ears PGN's are pretty warm and don't have much high-end in mahogany guitars. Kind of smooth and mellow. For an A2 neck HB, I much prefer A2P's and Seth's, both have more high-end; a more aggressive, cutting sound.
                      It's funny because I hear the opposite, oh well. To the OP, '59/Custom Hybrid - Jazz combo might work for you (that Black Keys goal is hard though).

Comment

Hey.

In your experience: could a 1meg vol be the cure for the phat cat darkness? Maybe that could work for him. If it is too much it just a matter of rolling it down a bit.

Cheers.
                        Godin Freeway classic: 59' model neck. Sh-14 C5.
                        Ibanez Rg: Paf pro. Super distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                          Hey.

In your experience: could a 1meg vol be the cure for the phat cat darkness? Maybe that could work for him. If it is too much it just a matter of rolling it down a bit.

Cheers.
                          Wouldn't a no-load pot be better if you're trying to get more brightness (vs more control)?

Comment

Working...
                          X