banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new tele! hot rails? jb jr? lil '59? options...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tele! hot rails? jb jr? lil '59? options...

hey everyone. I'm new here and an avid user if Duncan pickups. currently i use a JB and a Custom Custom in my him bucking guitars but with a new axe in the lineup, the options are out there.

i just purchased a 2001 Fender American Standard Tele. it's the swamp ash clear coat model. is has the stock pickups and is routed for H-S-S with the last being the "tele" single. i have toyed with leaving the guitar stock to preserve her...and the pickups combined sounds decent...but i want more.

i bought this guitar to have a nice solid american made axe to retrain my hand that was broke and have a go to for playing every day. something comfortable and classic. i like the shape and feel of telecasters, just not the twangy stick sound. i know anyone could debate all day on why i bought her...but the wood resonated great, tone is there, neck was flawless and the price was right. rare find at a local music store.

moving on. i have been looking at many comparing the hot rails set, just the tele bridge hot rails, the lil '59 and some other mods. i am not looking to route the guitar out, just put some better sound rock pickups in. i listen and play mostly rock and metal but too much of a metal pickup does not appeal to me. tool, a perfect circle, pearl jam, kse, just to name a few. but...i also listen to classic older stuff. i am interested in the strat sized JB jr, but would have to through it in the middle. i am currently pondering 3 pickups with the jb jr in the middle, something hotter more metal in the bridge and something more smoother in the neck, or, just have the middle and bridge pickup options. any recommendations out there for this or other possible configurations?! many thanks.

Re: new tele! hot rails? jb jr? lil '59? options...

bump, anyone?

Comment

Hello
      [waves]

If there is one thing I've learned about the versatility of the Black Winter, it is that there is no such thing as a metal pickup.

Having said that, I used a hot rails in my Strat bridge postion for years and I absolutely loved it for everything and to this day, I can't find a full sized humbucker that sounds or reacts like it at all.

The hotrails can get you where you need to be based on the bands you mentioned.

Now...we ARE talking about a tele, so why don't we just own her telecaster-ness and put a nice tele neck pickup in there.

I'm sure you can get a pickguard that will cover the middle hole. I can't see you needing it if you aren't into the twang thang.

If the route can handle it, maybe try a mini-humbucker in the neck. \m/,

Good luck.

Lemme know how it pops off.

~LD
      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

I play a Yamaha Mike Stern 1511, and when picked it up I didn't think the Hot Rails bridge PUP would stay, but...I like it a lot. The 59/HR combo is very cool to me in this guitar (ash/maple). I'm playing blues, fusion, and jazz so...not exactly the same application (also I'm an SD59 addict). Fusion can get pretty hard though, and this definitely hangs clean or with OD and dirt.
        Last edited by jbear; 10-04-2013, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I don't want to derail this thread, but I have a question about the Hot Rails since a couple of you guys have some experience with it.

I just got a like-new Squire Strat (Indonesia) at a yard sale ($60 for guitar, very good Fender stand, a Fender California cord, Frontman 15 amp, another amp, distortion pedal, and gigbag) and plan to replace pups. Heard a lot of good things about the Hot Rails, but I'm concerned about the high resistance/output. Does it sound distorted all the time? Does it clean up by rolling down the vol? Does it have enough inherent high end to roll down the vol without it sounding muffled?

This guitar sounds very thin (at least with existing pups) and I think I'm going to want a pup with lots of mids and warmth, but I don't want to sacrifice clarity. I want to go with a single-sized bucker in the bridge.

I really don't care much for the full-sized '59 bucker due to the mid-scoop, but on paper the stats for the Little '59 look pretty reasonable.

Can you change magnets on the single-sized buckers?
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Update...went with a SD CS Pearly Gates for tele! Great pickup and so far worth the $. I decided to reverse green and black wires per the sd wiring chart and the middle toggle tone is sic! Great clean we early breakup when barely pushed on a medium gain tube amp. Obviously the full hum bucking pickup itself is great for my rock and metal tones! Very happy thus far. Now I just need a good quality speaker cabinet so I can really hear my axe.

Comment

Working...
            X