Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing broken pup winding

Here's the deal.

It's a Fender noiseless pup that's not working at all, no continuity between the leads. After some time inspecting it I found that the upper coil has the start of the winding broken just where it exits the winding and wraps around the eyelets (in Fender's case it actually goes through two holes and only one has eyelet for soldering). It broke right underneath the tape, and Fender uses clear on the upper coil so I could see what was going on. I have it sticking slightly less than 1/4 of an inch. I only peeled the tape when it was clear where the break was. I just lightly touched each end of the coil with a toothpick and I could see one end shift underneath the tape.

If that was the end of the winding I would just unwind the pup a single turn and resolder it. Is there a way I can get more wire out of it?

I know a guy that does amps and stuff for me, maybe I should take it to him, this is not my kind of soldering, if it has to be involved.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Re: Repairing broken pup winding

you cant get more wire out of it. if you pull on it, youll make it worse.

it may be fixable but you need to be careful. if you lose that little piece of wire, youll need a rewind

Comment

Yep, this is a double or nothing type operation.

Comment

It's very difficult when the start lead is severed like that. Splicing is all but impossible with little to no slack to work with and there's no way to safely pull the wire a bit more out from under the rest of the coil. You have nothing to lose by trying but that's because barring the miraculous, this coil is dead and gone so you can't kill it any deader. However, there are other options:

1) Just use the other coil by itself. Stacks are usually wired in parallel so though you would have more noise, you wouldn't lose much output if any, especially if the good coil is on top.

EDIT: So the top coil is dead, oh never mind...

2) There are several folks in here who would take a shot at rewinding it for you.
        Last edited by Zhangliqun; 10-02-2013, 09:56 PM.
        Generic signature line.

Comment

I tried to pull slightly but it won't move at all. Just the part that is hanging out moves freely so I think I might break it off if I try too hard. I know this wire can resist some pulling forces (it's machine wound after all), but there's a shelf right where the wire exits and I am afraid it sits there sandwiched between the edge of the bobbin and the amount of wire that's on it.

Guy obviously opted for a new pickup.

Comment

It's dead, Jim...
            Generic signature line.

Comment

If you decide to get it fixed Derek or MJ would be happy to do so: http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/rewinds-repairs-1/

Comment

Working...
              X