Pickup Suggestion: Semi Hollow Body Strat Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Suggestion: Semi Hollow Body Strat Project

I'm just starting a new project: putting together a semi hollow body strat. Body is mahogany with a sitka spruce top. I'm looking for suggestions for pickups to put in her. I'm looking for a warm bluesy tone. Thanks!

Re: Pickup Suggestion: Semi Hollow Body Strat Project

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
    I'm just starting a new project: putting together a semi hollow body strat. Body is mahogany with a sitka spruce top. I'm looking for suggestions for pickups to put in her. I'm looking for a warm bluesy tone. Thanks!

PATB-3b and an SH-2n unless you'd consider a H-S setup..?
    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Its being cut for a SSS setup

Comment

Here is a picture of what it will look like (only mahogany body with a sitka spruce top)

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]46863[/ATTACH]

Here is a picture of what it will look like (only mahogany body with a sitka spruce top)
          Cool Rails, Vintage Rails and Vintage rails split/tapped..?
          Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Honestly? Something like that, I would seriously consider actives... or a whole set of L'il 59s... pups that'll bring out the hollowbody sound.
            "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
              Honestly? Something like that, I would seriously consider actives... or a whole set of L'il 59s... pups that'll bring out the hollowbody sound.
              I've never liked actives–just someething I've never liked. The L'il 59s and the Cool Rails really seem like what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

a trio of cool rails would be a nice match, neck models in the neck and middle positions

Comment

Black Winters.

And no.

I'm not kidding or being sarcastic.

They are the mostly completely amazing and versatile pickups I've used in years. And they sound completely sick through my Blues Deluxe with no pedals at all.
                  For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Maybe a JB Jr at the bridge, with L'il 59s at the neck and middle?
                    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

One really needs to know a bit more about your vision to narrow down all the choices you have, and that's just from Seymour Duncan's assortments, much less all the brands out there. The first big choices are: Noiseless? Humbucking? Stacked Single? Pure Single Coil? Active? Then there's many offers within each category. I always ask about those categories before I recommend. Other options include lipstick, dual magnet singles, custom shop, rails, even loaded pickguards so you can switch out different setups for different applications. choices choices choices... Make it fun though! You can always change your mind with Seymour Duncans.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
                        Cool Rails, Vintage Rails and Vintage rails split/tapped..?
                        Each coil of a VR senses only 3 strings - so you only have the option of series or parallel (parallel is the recommended wiring). Should be able to do series/split/parallel with a CR.

Comment

Spruce top, intriguing... Where'd you get the body?
                          Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                            Spruce top, intriguing... Where'd you get the body?
                            Richard Saylor makes them in the USA. He makes custom guitar bodies–has the pictured one up on eBay (poplar body with sitka spruce top) and I asked if he would do mahogany and sitka spruce and he said absolutely. In case you are interested, here is his contact info: [email protected]

Comment

I'd go for the EMG SA-X set.

I know, they're actives. They just don't sound like they are.

With the right settings, you can even fool almost anybody into thinking you're playing a big Jazz box.

So versatile they are. The cleans are magnificent, the ODs are even better.

HTH,

Comment

Working...
                              X