Overwound A2 pickups - EVH, George Lynch, Warren DeMartini, CC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwound A2 pickups - EVH, George Lynch, Warren DeMartini, CC

EVH Frankenstein, George Lynch Super V, Warren DeMartini RTM, Custom Custom.

All overwound pickups with A2 mags.

Is there magic in this combination for that 80s superstrat sound?

Re: Overwound A2 pickups - EVH, George Lynch, Warren DeMartini, CC

Well when it was happening in the 80s Warren was using a JB and George was using a Distortion , no A2 mags there. Whatever Ed used has been debated to death , who knows. JB in a Superstrat is the sound of 80s metal/rock IMO
    When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

The ones I would associate with an A2 sound would be Eddie VH, Slash, and maybe Jake E Lee. Most of the others bring to mind the JB, Super Distortion, Duncan Distortion, or EMG's.

Comment

Jakes Ultmate Sin tone and Badlands was pure JB. The Ultimate Sin and Ratts Invasion Of Your Privacy are prime examples of the JB into a hot Marshall

Comment

The 78 and Frankie both use A2.

Comment

Originally posted by SlappyTappy View Post
            EVH Frankenstein, George Lynch Super V, Warren DeMartini RTM, Custom Custom.

All overwound pickups with A2 mags.
            The hot Alnico II recipe is Seymour Duncan's spécialité de la maison, in my view.

Is there magic in this combination for that 80s superstrat sound?
            The magic is in having your Marshall "fixed".

Comment

GL = RAndall + Distortion
              DeMartini = Soldano + JB
              EVH = Marshall + some sort of a5 < 1984

No.....
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                GL = RAndall + Distortion
                DeMartini = Soldano + JB
                EVH = Marshall + some sort of a5 < 1984

No.....

I'm pretty sure George was using a Randall and invader for tooth and nail. Warren started using the Soldano around reach for the sky.

Comment

Isn't it odd/interesting that they all have signature pickups with very similar characteristics, tho? Has anybody compared them?

Comment

I believe the OP was referring to the more recent signature pickup models. But these reflect their personal tastes these days, and wouldn't accurately reproduce the "80s superstrat sound" as we know it. That would be the JB, Super Distrotion, and the like as was mentioned before.
                    Originally posted by Rockstar216
                    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Isn't it odd/interesting that they all have signature pickups with very similar characteristics, tho? Has anybody compared them?
                      Most of them. And the characteristics aren't that similar.

And I'm not so certain that all the ones you are talking about are technically 'overwound'

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                        Most of them. And the characteristics aren't that similar.

And I'm not so certain that all the ones you are talking about are technically 'overwound'

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad
                        When I say overwound, I mean medium-hot in the Duncan menu. Hotter than PAF. And in the 14-16k range, I think that's fair.

How would you compare the ones you've tried?

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
                        I believe the OP was referring to the more recent signature pickup models. But these reflect their personal tastes these days, and wouldn't accurately reproduce the "80s superstrat sound" as we know it. That would be the JB, Super Distrotion, and the like as was mentioned before.
                        Yeah, that's more what I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by 51501984 View Post
                          Jakes Ultmate Sin tone and Badlands was pure JB. The Ultimate Sin and Ratts Invasion Of Your Privacy are prime examples of the JB into a hot Marshall
                          Thought it was established that badlands was a P90?

Comment

Over wound is where they actually over wind the coils. It will increase output but drain some highs.

The 78 is actually a very versatile hot-PAF that has more output than expected.

The IM1 is like a middle ground between the 78 and JB, but with less grunt. Its a little more focused and really good for the mid-80s VH

The RTM is like an old school JBJ with slightly sweeter highs.

The Dokken humbucker is like a DD-lite. More tone than a DD and more grind than a JB.

None of those are similar. They are in order from the most open sounding to the most compressed sounding. The 78 and the RTM can be picky about what woods they are in.

I will never comment on any 'official' Lynch models.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

IM1 is a Frankenstein humbucker with a A5, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X