SD Newbie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Newbie Question

So I won a guitar on ebay a couple of weeks ago and it was listed as having SD p-ups, seller said "maybe" Pearly Gates?
    When it arrived clearly one was not even SD, so upon inspection the bridge was a Dimarzio Super Dist and the neck is SD with the tag on the back "DC" which I assume to be Duncan Custom, correct? From looking on the net there appears to be several Customs (Custom 5, Trembucker, Custom Custom), I am wondering which this is? All the tag says is "DC" no other writing (see pic).

I did not like the sound of either p-up but the DC was mounted upside down in the neck so I wanted to give it a chance and moved it to the bridge and added a '57 Classic to the neck. Sound is much better now but the DC still sounds "wooden" or "stiff", I played with the height and got it sounding a bit better but still not real warm. The Ohm reading is 13.48 and I just moved it from one volume pot to the other so it is wired like the last owner had it - white/red taped off, green/bare to back of pot, black to pot side tab, is that correct?

Trying to get smart on it before determining if it is a keeper or not. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0607_zpsf837ed23.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	5830479

Re: SD Newbie Question

Custom is correct.
    Cool p/up,tho,try it in the bridge of something!
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

'Zat an Explorer?

Pics!!!
      "Scalloped & Stickered"
      A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

The Custom comes with a ceramic magnet which some people like and others (like me) don't. I like it lots better with an A8 mag...warms it up and removes the brittle ice-pick highs.

But it's a very good pup and very versatile.

PS: I doubt that you won the guitar, probably bought it for a few bucks.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
        X