No announcement yet.

Coil-split wiring question, need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coil-split wiring question, need help!

I hope I'm answering the question you're asking.

When we talk of "inner" and "outer", what we really mean is, screw and stud. It just so happens that most dual-humbucker equipped guitars have the pickups mounted that way. (Slash's AII-Pro zebra set being an exception.) The screw coil and the stud coil sound different when split. The stud coil tends to be higher output. So, if you're going to split both pups, ideally, you'd want the higher output of the two. But that gets us back to them no longer being humbucking. There's also something else going on. On the bridge pup, the magnitude of string excursion, from one coil to the other, is somewhat significant. Not so with the neck pickup. So, on the bridge pup, we want the "inner", or stud coil, to get maximum string movement. On the neck pickup, it's not so critical, so we can make the concession of selecting the screw coil. (For ease of wiring and maintaining humbucking.)

But . . . if we want to have the option of splitting to either/or coils, then doing inner/outer makes sense. First we split to the "hotter" coils, then to the milder coils. Two distinctive tones. But if we want to maintain humbucking, we have to do the mag-flip.

So . . . if we want to keep it simple, we split bridge/stud - neck/screw. Everything stays humbucking. Sounds good. Simple wiring.

If we want our cake and eat it too, do the mag-flip, then split inner/outer.

Make sense?

Artie

Comment

Re: Coil-split wiring question, need help!

rbd...That's about the best looking LTD I've ever seen.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
      X