Tone caps, no polarity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone caps, no polarity?

Probably a silly question or maybe my eyesight isn't what it used to be.... The only capacitors that I've ever replaced before were BIG Electrolytic caps on a small Amp. I know that they had a definite polarity oreintation (also needed to be drained).

Question - I'm replacing all electronics on a MIM Telecaster, new pots, 4 way switch, jack, and pickups. I got a kit from Angela.com. The new .047 cap doesn't appear to have any polarity marking that I can see. The original cap is even smaller and I can't read anything on it but a few small letter/numbers. Are these a different type of Capacitor and don't have polarity -or- is it that they are so small it doesn't matter? I also don't see any polarity markings on the wiring diagram (Fender issued w/switch).

Thanks, Bill

Re: Tone caps, no polarity?

The ones that have a plus and a minus marked, and/or one lead longer than the other, are polarity sensitive. Ones that have no polarity markings, and/or equal length leads are not.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I didn't think there was any issues but just wanted to make sure.

Thank you

Comment

Exactly what Itsabass said. As long as there are no positive or negative markings, including differences in leg length, then it is going to almost always be non-polar.

Comment

For these small values manufacturing doesn't need to use electrolytic ones.

Comment

Working...
          X