banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

humbucker in parallel is lower in output than split?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• humbucker in parallel is lower in output than split?

The duncan wiring diagram indicates parallel has lowe outout than split. Can someone explain why that is in tech terms?

Re: humbucker in parallel is lower in output than split?

I don't know exactly why on a physical level (i.e. what exact forces are at work and why and how). But it's one of the basic characteristics of electricity that when you have inductors (pickup coils in this case) in parallel, you get less total inductance than you would get from any one of those inductors alone.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Lower resistance.
      Slightly less volume too.

If either of those mean "output" to you, then you're right.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

If you have two coils of 4k-ohm each, in series they sum to 8k-ohm. In parallel, it comes to... roughly a quarter of the total... (the actual formula is u=(1/((1/x)+(1/y)+...) and so on.

With 4k-ohm coils, that comes to 2k-ohms.

With a 3k-ohm and a 5k-ohm, it comes to 1.85k-ohms.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technica...calculator.htm

Why? Because electricity does weird s#$%.
        "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
          Lower resistance.
          Slightly less volume too.

If either of those mean "output" to you, then you're right.
          Output is word used on the diagram

Comment

If both coils are of equal DC resistance, then it will have the same measurable DC output as playing it splitted.

When you split the coils you are only playing on one coil so the maximum DC resistance on the output is the nominal DCR of that particular coil.

When you wire two coils in parallel, the formula goes like this: output DC R = (1R x 2R)/(1R + 2R). I would measure each coil and do the calculactions first, the decide what to do next.

Comment

If it helps, water flow is often used as an analogy for electric current flow in electronics courses:

If you take the same amount of water running through a pipe and split the flow into two parallel pipes (assuming the capacity of the parallel pipes is equal to or greater than that of the pre-split pipe), the water pressure in each of the two pipes (parallel) will be less than the pressure in the pipe that is not split (series). Thus the current flow in each coil is less when in parallel than in series.
              Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by constant mesh View Post
                If both coils are of equal DC resistance, then it will have the same measurable DC output as playing it splitted.

When you split the coils you are only playing on one coil so the maximum DC resistance on the output is the nominal DCR of that particular coil.

When you wire two coils in parallel, the formula goes like this: output DC R = (1R x 2R)/(1R + 2R). I would measure each coil and do the calculactions first, the decide what to do next.
                Thanks!!

Comment

The output isn't lower, it just misses perhaps some of the frequencies that make a single coil cut. I mean the 2/4 positions on a strat are 2 single coils connected in parallel.....they cluck more due to some frequencies cancelling, but there are some other frequencies that are added.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                    If it helps, water flow is often used as an analogy for electric current flow in electronics courses:

If you take the same amount of water running through a pipe and split the flow into two parallel pipes (assuming the capacity of the parallel pipes is equal to or greater than that of the pre-split pipe), the water pressure in each of the two pipes (parallel) will be less than the pressure in the pipe that is not split (series). Thus the current flow in each coil is less when in parallel than in series.

I understand why series wiring is louder that parallel. The doc on SD's site on wiring a series/parallel/split switch indicates that a parallel wired humbucker has lower output than split. sounds like there is a formula for it

Comment

There are many misconceptions, even mistakes with some of the things on the wiring diagrams. So don't take it as read that everything there is guaranteed to be correct.

Pickups are a signal generator (in this case a transducer). They function much more like a battery than a resistor.....in fact likening pickups resistance to output is about the most wrong thing perpetuated on forums.
                      Two 9v batteries connected in parallel will still be 9v. There are still some differences between the way a pickup works and how batteries work - but it is infinitely closer than comparing resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
                        I understand why series wiring is louder that parallel. The doc on SD's site on wiring a series/parallel/split switch indicates that a parallel wired humbucker has lower output than split. sounds like there is a formula for it

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...?schematic=ssp
                        And the award for not reading the contents of his own thread go to... *grin*
                        "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
                          And the award for not reading the contents of his own thread go to... *grin*
                          What the hell are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
                            What the hell are you talking about?
                            Try reading posts #4 and #6

sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                              Try reading posts #4 and #6

I did read them. Thats why i acknowledged those posts when i said there is a formula. ie that i already had my question answered.

Comment

Working...
                              X