Suggestions on pots/caps and such on pup/electronics upgrage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on pots/caps and such on pup/electronics upgrage

Hey all, I have just purchased some seymour duncan quarter pound pickups for my P/J Squire and was wondering if anyone could advise me on what kind of pots/caps/and such that I should buy to go along with those pups? Any help would be appreciated.

"D"

Re: Suggestions on pots/caps and such on pup/electronics upgrage

I havent used a quarter pounder but I really love cts pots and orange drop caps. most single coil pots require a 250k pot. caps depend on what you want.

Comment

I prefer Bourns pots and Orange Drop caps.

And like Loversmoon said above, your best bet is a 250k pot, and I'd try a .022uf cap first.
      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys 250K pot...I was kind of thinking 500K CTS and .047 Orange Drop.

Comment

never mind the 500k comment...I am still researching and now understand the setup a little better.

Comment

Really, I think the actual pot taper and value makes the difference rather than brand. The brands just have different tolerances. Alpha has been known to have terrible tolerance/quality control, while CTS/Bourns?DiMarzio/Seymour Duncan are kind of the "go-to" when buying name-brand pots.

Capacitors - just get the right value, with nothing larger than a 5% tolerance.

Personally, I'd rather go to a mom n' pop electronics store (because Radioshack for the most part sucks in selection/tolerance) and get the right value caps/resistors/potentiometers and whatnot. Just the pots would most likely be solid-shaft, but I prefer solid shaft with screw knobs anyway. I hate split shafts.

Comment

Working...
            X