banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a les paul type for hair metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone use a les paul type for hair metal?

Quite a few of the metal dudes back then used LPs:

Vivian Campbell - Les Paul for Holy Diver - X2N's during Sweet Savage, X2N for rhythms on Holy Diver, JB for leads.. Some weird pickup from JayDee after that (You can see it in live videos where viv uses the guitar back then) - later FullShreds during his Riverdogs tenure

John Sykes - Dirty Fingers and T-Tops - the rest is in the fingers.

Zakk - EMGs - No Rest For The Wicked, dudes.. Awesome 80s metal tone.

Mick Mars - Super D for Too Fast For Love and Shout At The Devil

there were a few others from what I have read and seen in videos, the dude from Seduce used EMG 81s, the dudes from Faster Pussycat used Les Pauls - no idea on the pickups..

Dont forget Steve Stevens, the first Billy Idol record was done with a Les Paul IIRC - he was a big JB user back then, dont know about the Les Paul.. Check out the Atomic Playboys video, for some cool stage moves

One good thing to remember, even though you see various superstrats in the videos, quite a few of these guys recorded with Les Pauls and vintage Strats. Anything goes, I guess

I always go back to the Dirty Fingers for this kinda stuff.. It just has this edge in a Les Paul, that just... works. It is so different to anything else, but for this type of stuff, it is the business. I would look into the Distortion or Custom. Think Distortion for some of the heavier and more aggressive tones, and Custom for the thicker tones - McAuley period Schenker for instance. Like a huge fat PAF on steroids

Comment

My Ibanez ARZ800 (EMG 81/60) LP-style can do hair metal fine (as any other genre). The only think it can't do is that surf/dire straits typical position 2-4 strat tone. But nearly nails all the rest. I have another partscaster which does only 2-4 decently.

That said, my prefered hair metal guitar is a Kramer 210 with Seymour Duncan livewires/livewires metal, with floyd rose, which screams van halen/hair metal from miles away!

Comment

Hasn't Vivian Campbell been back to LPs for a number of years now? At least from the shots I've seen on stage.

Steve Stevens has been going with LPs a lot and I think he has a sig model with some company called Knapps ( or something like that ). He also has the Bare Knuckle Pickup signature model ( Rebel Yell ) that is a bit hit in LPs, as is the John Sykes BKP sig model ( Cold Sweat, a lot like a Gibson Dirty Fingers model ).

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

yeah viv uses the paul almost exclusively now. I saw an interview recent which he stated he couldn't imagine going back to a tremolo type guitar. ahh but never say never.

Comment

Tom Keifer and Jeff LaBar were big Les Paul guys

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Is this the sound you are looking for?

79 Les Paul
              Distortion Bridge
              Marshall VS100 on OD1
              Boss DD-3 in the loop
              Hey, that VS100/OD-1 sounds good.
              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Steve Clark's Les Pauls were in fact loaded with Duncan 59s. He said so in several interviews.
                2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

I stand corrected and am going with the black one had a Dirty Fingers in the bridge with stock Gibsons, and the white was Duncan 59's
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

And I still say go Distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
                      DiMarzio Super Distortions. Duncan JB, Distortion, etc...

It really all boils down to amp settings and playing technique.
                      Blasphemer!

Oh, and... +1.

Comment

I'm thinking I might try to go for the dirty fingers. John Sykes on whitesnake is almost exactly the sound I'm interested in actually haha. So I'm gonna try that first. I'm not to sure about the neck. But it's not a big I don't do much there beyond cleans and I for the most part know what I like.

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
                          Steve Clark's Les Pauls were in fact loaded with Duncan 59s. He said so in several interviews.
                          Yep, you're right. I stand corrected too, did a bit more searching and found an old interview where he said he had duncan '59s.
                          “Dude, sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.” - Jake the Dog

Comment

Originally posted by dreadguard268 View Post
                            I'm thinking I might try to go for the dirty fingers. John Sykes on whitesnake is almost exactly the sound I'm interested in actually haha. So I'm gonna try that first. I'm not to sure about the neck. But it's not a big I don't do much there beyond cleans and I for the most part know what I like.
                            That's a great idea except for the part that he is John Sykes. And as we all know...

JOHN SYKES IS WHITESNAKE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dreadguard268 View Post
                              He used mesa boogie coliseum heads on the Whitesnake album and was rumored to have double tracked the rhythm tones . Something to think about when trying to tackle his tone
                              When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Here's a great clip with a reissue Dirty Fingers in a Les Paul Custom. He gets some great Sykes-ish sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbZnbvovlx8

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Comment

Working...
                                X