No announcement yet.

Alnico magnet composition question...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico magnet composition question...?

Alnico II, V, VIII, are the compositions of each magnet different or just the strength? thanks!

Re: Alnico magnet composition question...?

Originally posted by mountain2012 View Post
    Alnico II, V, VIII, are the compositions of each magnet different or just the strength? thanks!
    The amount of alloy compositions are different.
    Originally posted by longcat
    either way...cracker-y goodness.

Comment

The alloy used is different which has an effect on magnetic strength and tone.
      Last edited by idsnowdog; 10-12-2013, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Alnico is an abbreviation of Aluminum (Al) Nickel (Ni) Cobalt (Co) alloy. Each type has a slightly different composition, which is why one type is stronger than another.

P.S. On a completely irrelevant side note, Alnico 3 should be called AlNiCu (But it isn't.) A3 uses Copper (Cu) instead of Cobalt (Co).
        “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
          - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Wow, thanks guys! That pic is super helpful.

How many of you think that Alnico 8 is unfit for pickups, possible due to its composition and resulting tone?

Comment

How many of you think that Alnico 8 is unfit for pickups, possible due to its composition and resulting tone?
              Most folks here like it, but I have not enjoyed it in any pickup or guitar I've tried with the A8. There is something funny in the mid-range. First time I've seen a chart like that, I knew A8 was stronger than the others but man, those things are powerful.
              Last edited by DarkMatter; 10-12-2013, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
                Most folks here like it, but I have not enjoyed it in any pickup or guitar I've tried with the A8. There is something funny in the mid-range. First time I've seen a chart like that, I knew A8 was stronger than the others but man, those things are powerful.
                From listening to the youtube videos of the Alternative 8 compared to youtube videos of other pickups, they are way too strong in the midrange and sound nasal. I hear the same thing from guitars played through Soldano amps. Single notes stand out well in the mix but chords sound like trash.

Comment

From listening to the youtube videos of the Alternative 8 compared to youtube videos of other pickups, they are way too strong in the midrange and sound nasal. I hear the same thing from guitars played through Soldano amps. Single notes stand out well in the mix but chords sound like trash.
                  The ALT8 is a very poor point of comparison. It's a mediocre pickup that just happens to have an alnico 8 magnet.

The meat and potatoes of a pickup is its winding.
                  The sauce is its magnet.
                  The garnish are its pole polepieces and baseplate.
                  Last edited by idsnowdog; 10-13-2013, 02:46 PM.

Comment

A8's are popular here in many different bridge HB's, and even used in bridge P-90's. They took the forum by storm about 5 years ago. The tones are good clean, unlike many ceramics. Very useful magnet. One of the most popular A8 PU's here is the C8, which is arguably the best of the Custom family. A8's are also used in PAF type PU's.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                    X