Magnet's effect on pickup output...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet's effect on pickup output...?

Does swapping magnet types on the same pickup affect the output of it?

In this "How to Pick your Pickups" article by Seymour Duncan, nothing is said about output in the "magnet" section, so I'm curious.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...k_a_pickup.pdf

Re: Magnet's effect on pickup output...?

It can certainly effect the 'perceived loudness', or make an amp crunch more depending on the magnet's character. Whether or not there is also an output increase can perhaps be answered by others.

Comment

Originally posted by mountain2012 View Post
      Does swapping magnet types on the same pickup affect the output of it?
      In a nutshell, yes. Being the magnet the engine that powers the magnetic field, changing it affects the output in mV. produced.

How, and how much, it's a lenghty and complicated subject, which I won't addressing at this time.

HTH,

Comment

For example a 59 Bridge with a ceramic magnet will have more output than the stock A5 59 Bridge
        -IM

Comment

Alnicos are numbered 1 thru 12, more or less based on output. As far as I know, all ceramics are high output.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Does magnet type affect DC resistance or is that solely based on the coil?

Comment

Does magnet type affect DC resistance or is that solely based on the coil?
              A magnet-less coil will still have a DC reading.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                Alnicos are numbered 1 thru 12, more or less based on output. As far as I know, all ceramics are high output.
                Not on output, but in recipe. The recipes themselves were changed to pack more Gauss per cm3. Anyway, the research ended with the advent of Rare Earth mags, like Neodymium and such.

Also, Ceramics come in 12 grades too:

Personally, I haven't had any experience with other than C5 and C8, and the newcomer, Un-Oriented C8. Sounds like an A5 without the scoop. The most organic-sounding ceramic magnet I know.

If I was a p'up maker, I'd make a whole series of designs based on this magnet.

HTH,
                Last edited by LtKojak; 10-14-2013, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Swapping magnets does effect output, but it is more useful for tone shaping. Each grade of magnet has different tonal characteristics that you can use to shape the pickups tone.
                  Last edited by idsnowdog; 10-14-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the good info.

How about this: Say an Alnico II pickup at 8k has a hypothetical output rating of 4 and a Ceramic pickup at 16k has a rating of 11 on my made up scale. What output rating would you say that same Alnico II pickup has if you just swapped to Alnico Vs, no other changes?

Comment

The only magnet I perceive as louder is A8.

Ceramic has a bit more volume at low play but it compresses as you play harder so it doesn't exceed A2-A5, unlike A8 which does.

Comment

Thanks for all the good info.

How about this: Say an Alnico II pickup at 8k has a hypothetical output rating of 4 and a Ceramic pickup at 16k has a rating of 11 on my made up scale. What output rating would you say that same Alnico II pickup has if you just swapped to Alnico Vs, no other changes?
                        Anyone dare to take a shot at this? It may sound ridiculous, but it means a lot to me. After we can talk pickups and do away with this hypothetical nonsense :-)

Comment

Anyone dare to take a shot at this? It may sound ridiculous, but it means a lot to me. After we can talk pickups and do away with this hypothetical nonsense :-)
                          I'd say the output would be closer to each other; 7 for the 8K A2 PU and 11 for the 16K ceramic. My guess is an A5 in the 8K PU would be 9 for output.
                          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I've not found a tremendous difference with output. Even a 2 to a 5 I have only found small differences. Maybe a few percentage points more. Put it this way.....a pg and a 59 (A2 and A5 mags) don't really sound different in output to these ears.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                              The only magnet I perceive as louder is A8.

Ceramic has a bit more volume at low play but it compresses as you play harder so it doesn't exceed A2-A5, unlike A8 which does.
                              I agree. A8 is also the only magnet I would characterize as 'angrier' than other magnets.

Comment

Working...
                              X