I want better pick ups!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want better pick ups!

I have a PRS SE Korina single cut. It is a very nice guitar..quality build, but I know that cost containment comes at the expense of good pickups. I know which brand I want...:-) what is the recommendation from you all who know a whole lot more than I do. The solid Korina body and neck just have a great natural sustain..I want it to be creamy, but not mushy. I want it to bite when told to. I thank you all for suggestions.

Re: I want better pick ups!

What kind of music do you play, and what amp are you using?
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

blues and I have a little fender vibro champ xd.

Comment

I definitely recommend the Jazz neck humbucker... I love that pickup OMG its in my SG and for bridge I am thinking maybe a JB or something... hope that helps I play versatile blues and metal so I use the Jazz for super cleans but I use invader bridge and I doubt you are going to like that so I say JB should work for ya
        Guitars: Ibanez RG420, Ibanez RGA7, Ibanez RGD7421, Ibanez AFS75T 1993 Korean Squier Strat, Jackson MIJ DXMG, Yamaha APX500II
        Basses: Ibanez SR605
        Amp(s): Marshall JCM800 clone
        Seymour Duncan Pickups used: Pegasus, Sentient, Blackouts, JB, Jazz, Invader, Hotrails, Vintage Stack (tele set), Dave Mustaine Livewire,

Comment

JB is a bit hot for blues, if you ask me. 59's, the Brobucker, someone under 11k ohms would likely be nice in the bridge.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
          Originally posted by Securb
          The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

'Creamy with bite', that rules out a JazzN, as it's bright. PGN's are warm and creamy, but not much bite. JB's are wound hot and have a lot of high-end; nothing creamy about them. Great for '80's metal, the wrong PU for blues.

For creamy, you need an A2 magnet. I'd recommend an A2P set as they have some bite too.
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I owned one of those for a while. Great guitar. I put a set of DiMarzio Air Classics in it. They were just what you described. Another option is a set of Alnico II Pros or even the Slash set.

Comment

The Seth Lover set is what you want.

The APH1 set will also do if you want to keep the coverless look.

HTH,

Comment

I know what you mean by better; those Gnb pickups in SE definitely leave some room for improvement.
                  I second with LtKojak, Seths will give you that cream and bite at the same time. lol
                  good deals : Sinster, Mark Cearlock, TheLivingDead, blindedbysilence, crunchman, MetalManiac

Comment

Originally posted by smeisme View Post
                    I have a PRS SE Korina single cut. It is a very nice guitar..quality build, but I know that cost containment comes at the expense of good pickups. I know which brand I want...:-) what is the recommendation from you all who know a whole lot more than I do. The solid Korina body and neck just have a great natural sustain..I want it to be creamy, but not mushy. I want it to bite when told to. I thank you all for suggestions.
                    doesn't that guitar have some OEM models in there? why not upgrade to the PRS models that are typically in the SingleCut models? I've read where a lot of SE buyers do that and end up liking the PRS pickups. makes sense, as Paul is making sure he's getting them wound to be voiced for the guitars being built there. check out the options: http://www.prsaccessories.com/collections/pickups maybe the McCarty?

Comment

Working...
                    X