banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humbucker covers with no holes-does spacing matter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker covers with no holes-does spacing matter?

So I have a BG Bucker/Hellabucker set; easily my favorite pickup combo. The problem is that they are in double creme, which looked nice in the guitar they were in previously (RIP), but in the Wine Red LP copy, they are hideous.

I put on some Bobbin Toppers today, and I have a feeling they aren't going to be seeing christmas. I asked Bryan at BG pups and he recommended pickup covers with no holes (actually he recommended it for the Hellabucker, I'm just going to go for solidarity). I like Raw Nickel so I'm looking at these:

Luthier tools and guitar building parts for domestic and import. You will find knobs, bridges, tailpieces, pickguards, inlays, speciality files, saws

I've noticed that all humbucker covers without holes don't mention spacing. Does the lack of holes kinda nullify all that?

Re: Humbucker covers with no holes-does spacing matter?

No holes, no spacing.
    Generic signature line.

Comment

Do these covers really cut down on output?

Comment

Well, they're non magnetic so no. Where did you hear that??

There is a small amount of top end that gets lost...look at this:

Comment

Bobbin width may matter.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
            Well, they're non magnetic so no. Where did you hear that??

There is a small amount of top end that gets lost...look at this:
            Well I've heard that open coil HB's are supposedly 'hotter'. I don't know where I'd heard that.

If I use the covers, I'd guess it's Goodbye to magnet swapping?

Comment

Originally posted by p4vl View Post
              Well I've heard that open coil HB's are supposedly 'hotter'. I don't know where I'd heard that.

If I use the covers, I'd guess it's Goodbye to magnet swapping?
              You can still swap. Just have to take the covers off to do it.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I've noticed that all humbucker covers without holes don't mention spacing. Does the lack of holes kinda nullify all that?
                Duh

Comment

Spacing doesn't really matter, period. It's just a visual OCD thing for some people. So with the smooth cover, it doesn't matter even to those people.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                    Duh
                    I asked something obvious because I've never done this and I couldn't find any info out there (and based on your reply, I'd have been better off sending smoke signals). Way to flatline, Doc.

Comment

I have no holes covers on my jb/jazz set. I can say you get a minimal amount less of saturation and a hair less brightness. Other than that, if done right, there is no difference. They need to be waxed though. Otherwise air is trapped in the cover and causes noise and a little more mud I think but that may be in my head. There are a lot of techniques for wax potting. My version:

If the pickups are already potted (most modern pups are) then you can get by with just waxing the cover. Take some candle wax and scrape/break some off inside the cover to make a layer (not too thick). Press the pickup into the cover and heat with a hair dryer. After a minute or so clamp the pickup further into the cover to squeeze out any air gaps and heat for a little longer. You may start to see some wax start to run out of the cover. That tells you you're done. I did it, it works great and only takes about 10 minutes. I felt like I couldn't tell much difference in the sound at all.

Comment

I asked something obvious because I've never done this and I couldn't find any info out there (and based on your reply, I'd have been better off sending smoke signals). Way to flatline, Doc.
                        Why do you ask that which is obvious?

"Spacing" applies to the distance between pole pieces. If there are no holes in the cover for the pole pieces then "spacing" does not exist for that cover.

And, yes, smoke signals would have been fine.

(Who flatlined?!)

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          Why do you ask that which is obvious?

"Spacing" applies to the distance between pole pieces. If there are no holes in the cover for the pole pieces then "spacing" does not exist for that cover.

And, yes, smoke signals would have been fine.

(Who flatlined?!)
                          You'd be surprised at how many things are not obvious when it comes to adding a cover to a humbucker for the first time. Things are not obvious when said cover has no holes, something I'd never even seen until I stumbled across the site that sells them.

Thank you to everyone that showed up to the Pickups subforum intending on sharing their knowledge, even if you were bored. I have to say I'm rather dubious about that one guy's Ph.D. in guitar.

Comment

Working...
                          X