When winding a pickup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When winding a pickup...

If the wire breaks - do you really have to start all over again..?
    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Re: When winding a pickup...

Yes, unless you want to half-ass it and splice the broken wire together with solder.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
      Yes, unless you want to half-ass it and splice the broken wire together with solder.
      I re-did it anyway.

It's taken me about 6 hours to hand wind it but, there we are.

I have no idea what gauge or how many turns I've done or what it'll sound like.

Where can I get the tape to cover the wire coil from?

Or will regular electrical tape be good enough..?

Comment

Tape is tape. Electrical tape will do a good job of protecting the coil, but the tape will just be a little wide - not a big deal. You could even use string (like ender did with telecaster bridge pickups back in the day) and wrap it around. Just if you're potting the pickup, you might want to pot it before you put the tape on, otherwise the tape will just fall right off from the heat.

For winding in the future, you could start by hand, and then move on to a drill press or hand drill in a vise to spin the bobbin, while using a C-clap with felt to keep the correct tension.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
          Tape is tape. Electrical tape will do a good job of protecting the coil, but the tape will just be a little wide - not a big deal. You could even use string (like ender did with telecaster bridge pickups back in the day) and wrap it around. Just if you're potting the pickup, you might want to pot it before you put the tape on, otherwise the tape will just fall right off from the heat.

For winding in the future, you could start by hand, and then move on to a drill press or hand drill in a vise to spin the bobbin, while using a C-clap with felt to keep the correct tension.
          I'll be able to cut the tape to fit. Not a problem there.

As I said, I'm not sure what gauge I've used so, I really can't project what this pickup will sound like - if it sounds at all.

It's going to look like a Full Shred but, using chrome screws instead of the black - can't remember the name of the term, anodized..? - versions.

I doubt it'll be as hot but, it's essentially scatter wound - I tried to be as regimented as possible but, just went as I went after the first hour and a half - as I understand scatter winding makes feedback a higher feature, I'll need to pot the coils.

Do I do that before or after I fix the pickup to the plate and , as it's a question worth asking, would candle wax work or must it be paraffin wax..?

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
            I'm not sure what gauge I've used
            How is this possible? Did you find some wire in the trash?

Normally, all specs are written on the bobbin... or at least they should be?

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post

Ah no, I bought this from my local Maplin store about 4 or 5 years ago and it's been sat on my shelf up until last weekend. There's no label or engraving on it.

If you get a metal ruler and look at the measurement marks - downward lines - it's the same thickness as that. 1/4mm whatever that works out to..?

Also, when I wind the other coil, do I wind the same or opposite way to the one I've done already..?

Comment

Use 3M Photo Tape or something similar (paper based with a mild stickum). Even regular masking tape is a better choice. Electrical tape is a sticky, gummy, overly thick, hard to work with mess that doesn't even stay stuck over time. Horrible tape. I have no idea why it is still made.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                  Use 3M Photo Tape or something similar (paper based with a mild stickum). Even regular masking tape is a better choice. Electrical tape is a sticky, gummy, overly thick, hard to work with mess that doesn't even stay stuck over time. Horrible tape. I have no idea why it is still made.
                  Noted. And would that be the same thinking for the non-use of candle wax for potting..?

Comment

I've used candle wax with success. The difference is simply colors, and melting points.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post

I went to Maplin yesterday - what I'm using is either 38 or 40 swg. Perhaps a little thick for a pickup but, they don't go any thinner in there.

The pickup this is for is essentially (to look at, I mean) a chrome poled Full Shred with an A8 magnet.

I didn't count the turns (I lost count past 400 and something) so, whatever is on there only God knows...

When the other part is delivered - do I wind the same way or opposite..?

Comment

38 AWG works on a Charlie Christian pickup but it's too thick for just about anything else.
                        Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
                          I went to Maplin yesterday - what I'm using is either 38 or 40 swg. Perhaps a little thick for a pickup but, they don't go any thinner in there.

That's what happens when you're not friends with Google...

Comment

Look good.

Does it go thinner than 44..?

And what are the pro's and con's of going thinner..?

Comment

Wire gauge choice is 99.9999% about bobbin space. If the bobbin is too small to get the number of turns of wire you want on there, go to a smaller gauge. The end.
                              Generic signature line.

Comment

Working...
                              X