Volume and tone for Custom 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume and tone for Custom 8

I have a Custom 8 in the bridge position and single coil STK-S6 in the neck on a SG-like mahogany body, set maple neck w/ 25.5 board and floyd.

50's wiring with 500k Volume and 500k Tone (incl push-pull coil split on the HB) and a.022 cap -- I use a EB volume pedal for a different effect when cutting volume compared to the guitar's control, etc.

I find the best over all tone on all three channels of my amp, more particularly on the crunch and higher gain ones, is when the volume is rolled off a bit.

I find tho that the volume cuts out prematurely around 2-3 rather than at "zero" and the tone control is slow to effect until the lower settings.

How can I regain the range of volume in the lowest settings and a get a smoother transition in the tone?
    CSLSophia.com

Re: Volume and tone for Custom 8

buy pots with a different taper. look at the pots you have, it seems like you may have an audio taper volume and linear taper tone. if that's the case you can swap them to get the transition you are looking for. the fact that the volume cuts out around 3 might mean you need to replace or clean that pot

Comment

Re: Volume and tone for Custom 8

Hey thanks -- I suppose I could have added that the guitar has new Bourns model 95 (sealed) premium guitar, 500K, audio taper potentiometers ... that's why I am looking for other perspectives, etc. ... and to be clear its not a total cut off but rather a sudden drop off compared to the rest of the sweep, etc.
      CSLSophia.com

Comment

Working...
      X