banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickups: Bill Lawrence vs Seymour Duncan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickups: Bill Lawrence vs Seymour Duncan?

I have had my Les Paul loaded with a 59n/Custom, 59 set, Slash set and the L500xl. They will all take you where you want to go. They all have their own unique way of doing it. I play hard rock (some would call it metal, but I don't.) I love the L500, but you have to be willing to do a lot of adjusting to find the sweet spot. I currently have the Slash set in my Standard. I can tell you that they will get heavy if your amp can do some lifting.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
      I have had my Les Paul loaded with a 59n/Custom, 59 set, Slash set and the L500xl. They will all take you where you want to go. They all have their own unique way of doing it. I play hard rock (some would call it metal, but I don't.) I love the L500, but you have to be willing to do a lot of adjusting to find the sweet spot. I currently have the Slash set in my Standard. I can tell you that they will get heavy if your amp can do some lifting.
      TY!!! This is the info I was looking for. Someone mentioned the Slash set as an alternative and it got my interest, mainly because I don't have to void the warranty by replacing the magnets. My amp is a high gain amp and I do have an OD pedal for it, so I think I can get heavy with the Slash set. I will have to do more research on the Slash set as it sounds like it might be more of what I want. My only worry is the A2 magnet, just doesn't seem like a good hard rock/metal magnet.

Also, I am just a bit worried the C8 might be a bit too high output to have an acceptable clean and/or the Classic Rock crunch, so was also thinking of a 59b with an A8 instead.

Thanks again for the info and if anyone else wants to chime in on this, please do!
      2013 Gibson SG Standard (Custom A4 Neck & Custom A8 Bridge, both with Triple Shots)
      Boss Katana 50W w/Creamback

Comment

Originally posted by Gerr View Post
        I am just a bit worried the C8 might be a bit too high output to have an acceptable clean and/or the Classic Rock crunch, so was also thinking of a 59b with an A8 instead
        The cleans of the Custom 8 are nothing less than superb, mind you, but an A8'59b paired up with an A4'59n might be an slightly better choice for what you're asking for.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
          The cleans of the Custom 8 are nothing less than superb, mind you, but an A8'59b paired up with an A4'59n might be an slightly better choice for what you're asking for.

HTH,
          I saw that an A4/A8 59 set was your 2nd favorite, so was debating on which A8 pickup might suit my needs better. Thanks Kojak!

Any opinion on an A8 59/Custom hybrid? Only thing that worries me on that pickup is the slight hum from having mismatched coils.
          2013 Gibson SG Standard (Custom A4 Neck & Custom A8 Bridge, both with Triple Shots)

Comment

Another vote for an overdrive pedal.

You need to hit your amp harder.

The Slash set WILL NOT DO THAT. If you're dead set on replacing pickups to hit the amp harder, you want a higher output bridge pickup.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

You can bring the heavy with an alnico 2 pickup. The JB2 is one of my favorite hard rock/ metal pickups. It's all in how you dial your amp in. I have no issues with being very heavy with my Slash set. Of course the EVH 5153 that I plug into helps.
              2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
              2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
              2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Well there goes my upgrade money...

Gibson just dropped the prices on the SGJ by $100 to $499, so couldn't pass up an American made Gibson SJ for only $500 brand new. This also solves my problem as I can keep my Les Paul stock and use the hotter pickups in the SG for my higher gain playing.

Comment

Once I sell one of my spare guitars, will use that money to upgrade both of my Gibson's. Will put the suggested 59n(A4) & 59b(A8) into my Les Paul and a set of Bill & Becky pickups (L500R/L500XL) into my new SG. Those two guitars should cover all sounds I want.

Comment

Working...
                  X