Test for unpotted-ness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test for unpotted-ness?

I just bought a Gibson Burstbucker 2 off ebay with a quick connect end (which is why I bought it: I don't know how to solder...yet, and my 2013 Les Paul has the PCB).

This pickup is made with and without wax potting (not the same as the Burstbucker Pro).

Is there any way to tell if the pickup I get from ebay is wax potted or not without being in front of a 4x12 cab and high gain amp to hear microphonic squeal?
    Last edited by mountain2012; 10-21-2013, 03:50 PM.

Re: Test for unpotted-ness?

The brass screws on the bottom will either have wax in the philips head, or you can pull one out & see if there's wax on or around the threads & shank.

Comment

There are many variants but in general the heavy-handed kind of potting is best detected with the top polepieces, the screws, which will ooze wax or make it visible as you move them.

Comment

Originally posted by mountain2012 View Post
        I just bought a Gibson Burstbucker 2 off ebay with a quick connect end (which is why I bought it: I don't know how to solder...yet, and my 2013 Les Paul has the PCB).

This pickup is made with and without wax potting (not the same as the Burstbucker Pro).

Is there any way to tell if the pickup I get from ebay is wax potted or not without being in front of a 4x12 cab and high gain amp to hear microphonic squeal?
        Do you have other pickups which are wax potted? It will feel less dense. The wax adds enough weight that you can tell usually.

But, if it sounds good, I wouldn't worry about whether or not it's wax potted.
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

The best way to be sure is to just pull the cover off.
          Generic signature line.

Comment

Whelp there was visible wax in the crack between the cover and bassplate and scraping a fine pin confirmed it. I bet Gibson pots all burstbuckers on their guitars so unknowing consumers don't complain about squealing.

Comment

Originally posted by mountain2012 View Post
              Gibson pots all burstbuckers on their guitars so unknowing consumers don't complain about squealing.
              That's been their policy since Norlin, with the exception of certain CS models.

HTH,

Comment

Working...
              X