Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help again! (WIRING)

Hi again!

Well I recently did a little project on rewiring a POS strat copy into a Single Hum w/ coil tap and ks/w punk machine! And and to put it bluntly... I'm hooked! My skill level is pretty good at soldering, and fairly high at woodwork So I figured why not! I'm going to build a guitar from scratch instead of modding an old one!

This is puppy dog eyes time... I'm useless at wiring diagrams. So again - I need your guys help! I have: Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups, 2x500k pots, 3-way Gibson style toggle (again), and 2 ON-ON switches, plus obviously a jack!

Basically what i'm going for is standard 3 way layout (ie Bridge, Both, Neck) with separate volume pots for each p'up (for the killswitch effect of course ) with separate coil tap switches for each humbucker

Please can you help me out again guys? *puppy eyes* You where awesome last time!

Matt

PS.
    It's a strat with trem - I know they need grounding?
    Last edited by wassupdoc; 10-23-2013, 04:02 AM.

Re: Need help again! (WIRING)

I'm a bit confused...you say it's a single humbucker, but you're talking about having a three way switch for bridge-both-neck.

What exactly do you want?

And have you checked out the wiring diagrams on the SD site? http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Sorry if I wasn't clear I have the hot rodded humbucker set essentially, so a JB SH4 and a jazz SH2 yes I have but unfortunately there's nothing for what I want :/
      Last edited by wassupdoc; 10-23-2013, 03:22 AM.

Comment

What's the matter with this diagram? This gives you just what you asked for.

Your toggle switches would be wired exactly the same as these push/pull switches.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          What's the matter with this diagram? This gives you just what you asked for.

Your toggle switches would be wired exactly the same as these push/pull switches.
          I honestly wouldn't know how to remove the tone pots from that diagram, like I said I'm a complete noob when it comes to wiring diagrams How would I convert that to just 2 volumes and 2 coil tap switches?

Comment

Tone pots removed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2h_2v_3w_2tog.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	5772604

Note that this shows the toggle switches as DPDT like the Push-pull in the original diagram. All you really need here is SPST, but whatever you have should work. Let me know if you need something clarified.
            Last edited by Demina; 10-23-2013, 01:37 PM.
            "It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear." - Norm Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by Demina View Post
              Tone pots removed:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47532[/ATTACH]

Note that this shows the toggle switches as DPDT like the Push-pull in the original diagram. All you really need here is SPST, but whatever you have should work. Let me know if you need something clarified.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!o0E9cvI8dQQBPiVhRc1p!~~60_12.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	5772609
              These are the switches I have : 2 x Mini SPDT Toggle switch (ON-ON)
              I'm not really sure what all the Acronyms stand for but that's what I got pointed to! Thanks for helping as well It's really appreciated

Comment

DP stands for double pole (row). SP stands for single pole. The DP switch is two of your above switches in the one housing, but you are essentially wiring only the left hand side in the diagram.

Comment

Thank you! I understand now when everything arrives I'll be sure to post updates on the build and the finished article
                  Could you help me understand how the tap switches are working on here? In my head both coils are running to ground in one position (full humbucker) and in the other position the coil-ground connection for one coil is broken (single coil)? is that correct?

Comment

No, not quite.

But, first of all let's call this a "coil split" rather than a "tap". A "tap" is technically different from a "split".

When a humbucker pickup is running in full series mode, the green wire (screw coil's start wire) goes to ground and the red wire (screw coil's finish wire) is connected to the white wire (slug coil's finish wire). The black wire (slug coil's start wire) is the "hot" wire that goes to the volume pot.

When the coil split switch is activated it sends the red and white wires to ground (green wire is already going to ground). This sends both start and finish wires of the screw coil to ground thus taking that coil out of the circuit. It also sends the finish wire of the slug coil (white) to ground (the black wire is still hot) thus making it the only active coil.

Comment

Ah okay that makes it clear So a coil split in this case would have only the slug (inside?) coil active? Which coil would sound better for strat-like tones? Inside or outside?

And I think I get it: Coil SPLIT is removing one coil from the circuit, Coil TAP is basically halving the output from a "halfway" output in the windings of the pickup?

Comment

Working...
                      X