Pearly Gates Bridge Too Bright!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pearly Gates Bridge Too Bright!

To the OP: seriously tho...have you though about a better amp?
    Any guitar and pickup combination can only sound as good as the amp will let it.
    A cheap axe with cheap pickups thru a good amp will sound much better than a holy grail guitar and a mediocre amp.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
      To the OP: seriously tho...have you though about a better amp?
      Any guitar and pickup combination can only sound as good as the amp will let it.
      A cheap axe with cheap pickups thru a good amp will sound much better than a holy grail guitar and a mediocre amp.

Yeah I'm trying to find an amp for the my sound. I should probably open a thread relating this, I have little experience with different amps.

Comment

anyone think the custom custom sh-11 would be less bright than a pgb, and overall a better fit for my explorer?

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
          anyone think the custom custom sh-11 would be less bright than a pgb
          Only a deaf person could possibly think otherwise.

I love them both for what they do though. The custom2 does a great job of smoothing guitars with harsh upper-mids and treble, but it can get very wooly in a darker guitar.
          Last edited by rumblebox; 10-30-2013, 08:27 AM.
          Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Originally posted by rumblebox View Post
            Only a deaf person could possibly think otherwise.

I love them both for what they do though. The custom2 does a great job of smoothing guitars with harsh upper-mids and treble, but it can get very wooly in a darker guitar.
            Interesting. I have a window to swap out the pgb for something else, I'm just weighing my options. I think something else with alnico2 is what's right for me...

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
              Interesting. I have a window to swap out the pgb for something else, I'm just weighing my options. I think something else with alnico2 is what's right for me...
              Give the C2 a try if you're wanting something with more output, but if you want to stay with a PAF type sound without the brightness, try an A2 pro or a GFS A2 classic. Those are considerably darker and smoother than the PG, which is KNOWN for its brightness and "bite."

Comment

In case anyone was curious, I dropped in a sh-11 and am loving it! I feel like my guitar has a wider tone range, and the custom custom fits my music style perfectly. It's really mid rangey, but when the mids are scooped a bit, it's great. There's something that looks a bit weird that I'll upload later today
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Kais; 11-12-2013, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Sharp!!!

Did you swap out the Gold hardware?
                  "Scalloped & Stickered"
                  A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                    Sharp!!!

Did you swap out the Gold hardware?
                    Yes! I had a friend who was coincidentally looking for aged gold hardware (what are the odds?), so we did a trade. Think the chrome pieces came off a Gibson SG, but I bought chrome tuners (in line vs the 3/3 SG style).

These axes are awesome. There's a lot of gibson fanboys that "won't touch anything Epiphone" and automatically assume Epiphone guitars are terrible, but if you read any unbiased review of these after a few modifications they sound and feel much better.

Comment

I've got the same model & love it!

They had a used Gibby @ GC,it felt a little more robust,but the playability on mine just smoked it.
                      "Scalloped & Stickered"
                      A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

definitely love white pups in black guitars.

Comment

The CC can be a fantastic live pickup. I really dig it. That said, it isn't for everyone.

But, if you love the mountain of mids, or are ok turning down at the amp, could be pretty cool. I have got some ultra crunch from a CC. I have also played Allmans, Bluesbreaker Clapton, and Aerosmith very successfully with it. And of course, VH 1984 tones...

If you need more bite, don't be afraid to raise the treble poles.

If you need it tighter, add some shorter screws like the hex screws from a Full Shred to the bass side.

Rock on!
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            The CC can be a fantastic live pickup. I really dig it. That said, it isn't for everyone.

But, if you love the mountain of mids, or are ok turning down at the amp, could be pretty cool. I have got some ultra crunch from a CC. I have also played Allmans, Bluesbreaker Clapton, and Aerosmith very successfully with it. And of course, VH 1984 tones...

If you need more bite, don't be afraid to raise the treble poles.

If you need it tighter, add some shorter screws like the hex screws from a Full Shred to the bass side.

Rock on!
                            Awesome! Any idea where to get these shorter screws from? I wouldn't mind an experiment

Comment

Working...
                            X