banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about giving the JB another go......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about giving the JB another go......

Right now I'm running a full shred with flathead screws and an A8 mag(C8?), but the guitar has a floyd with a basswood body. So the palm mutes are more boomy and woofy rather than tight and punchy. I used to use a DD in the same guitar with good results except for the ear pearcing treble, but that was before i got into mag swapping.

So now I'm debating whether or not I'd like a JB/JB8 or if i should skip it and go with the alt8.

I used a JB in a couple of mahogany guitars and hated it, but i've never tried it in a strat or darker sounding guitar.

I've never used an alt8.

Im also considering a dimebucker with a 250k pot or an L500XL(spelling?) oddly enough, i actually did like the dimebucker in a mahogany guitar.

Keep in mind, this guitar is used strictly for metal and hard rock. I have 2 other guitars that do classic rock superbly.
    Last edited by rumblebox; 10-23-2013, 11:44 AM.
    Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Re: Thinking about giving the JB another go......

I just put a JB back in my ash w/rosewood neck super strat after about a year and a half. That guitar is pretty bassy so the JB works well and palm mutes really nice. It's everything that I remember, thick and compressed, almost sounds a little congested but I think that's due to me using the Bareknuckle VHll in two other guitars and that pickup is really open and uncompressed. I'm using a Splawn SS and a 2x12 w/M75 Scumbacks
    When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

I hated on the JB for years. I kept trying it in mahogany guitars and strats. I have a Jackson DK2M with A JB/Jazz combo, and I've never found anything I like better in it. I also really liked the Duncan Distortion in the bridge of that Jackson, but came back to the JB.

Comment

if you didn't like the ear piercing treble of the DD, the JB would take that down a notch.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
          if you didn't like the ear piercing treble of the DD, the JB would take that down a notch.
          My main concern is punchy tightness with the JB. Maybe the JB8 is my ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by rumblebox View Post
            but the guitar has a floyd with a basswood body.
            Keep in mind, this guitar is used strictly for metal and hard rock.
            This is a PRIME candidate for a JB. I say give it a shot as is and spend some time adjusting/dialing in. Then, if still not loving it go the a8 route. I have no idea what that a8 will be in Basswood/Floyd. But I really love it in Mahogany.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by rumblebox View Post
              My main concern is punchy tightness with the JB. Maybe the JB8 is my ticket.
              That you think it lacks that or it has too much of that? The JB8 sounds to me like a JB with everything turned up a notch to the point of being over-saturated. The Alt-8 would be better for more tightness.

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

I'm considering a JB in my SG standard. Not sure if that will jive or not...
                "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

It will not. At least that has been my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                    It will not. At least that has been my experience.
                    Agreed. Unlikely.

Comment

I don't recommend the Alt.8 for any guitar unless it's somewhat bright, or has a high value pot in it. I've used it in a mahogany guitar and the attack just wasn't there. It probably didn't help that the guitar had a cheap floyd, it was a pretty dark sounding piece of mahogany and I couldn't adjust the pickups due to direct mounts, though.
                      My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                      Originally posted by CTN
                      I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                      FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
                        I don't recommend the Alt.8 for any guitar unless it's somewhat bright, or has a high value pot in it. I've used it in a mahogany guitar and the attack just wasn't there. It probably didn't help that the guitar had a cheap floyd, it was a pretty dark sounding piece of mahogany and I couldn't adjust the pickups due to direct mounts, though.
                        just the opposite here. had a dark-sounding hunk of mahogany and the Alt-8 brightened it up and gave it a bit of life.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                          just the opposite here. had a dark-sounding hunk of mahogany and the Alt-8 brightened it up and gave it a bit of life.
                          That's pretty much how I've found it in 'Braveheart', my Warmoth LP, that has a wenge/ipe neck on it though, which makes it just a little different.
                          Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Huh, maybe the guitar had 250k pots...
                            My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                            Originally posted by CTN
                            I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                            FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

so i bought a JB, and i'll probably buy an alt8 and A/B them.

Comment

Working...
                              X