Which Blackouts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Blackouts?

Hey everyone was just wondering if anyone has any experience using the Blackout Humbuckers. Does anyone have a personal preference of which one is the "best" out of the AHB -1 AHB -2 or AHB -3, and if possible the Dave Mustane and Gus G versions, just trying to see which one would be more suited to my preference based on other people opinions. I'm looking for something to use with a Floyd Rose for Metals and Heavy styles of music, as well as harmonics and clarity for solos. Thanks a lot guys, also any good video comparisons or reviews would be appreciated.

Re: Which Blackouts?

I lean towards EMGs when it comes to actives, but what I've heard of the EMTYs is sick. I'm probably going to swap at least one guitar over soon to see how it holds up in person.
    IMO that's what sounds best for a death metal tone.

Comment

Hi yeah I deliberately left it non specific so that I could get people opinions on what they have used and what they like. I didn't really want to influence the type of responses I could get by narrowing down what type of pickup I want.

Comment

I've got an 8 string AHB-1 and a regular AHB-2.

Seeing that I use the AHB-1 on a bass it might not have a true reflection on the tones that you'd expect from a guitar but, having said that the response is very urgent, for want of a better description. The note is there almost before you touch the string. It's a clear and clean sound that seems to me to sit between an EMG 81 and 85 (I can only say this for the bridge models in all cases). On gain settings it's more organic the EMG's which, some may like or not. The harmonics are as sharp and balanced as the regular notes that you play and nothing seems to be lost .

For the AHB-2; I wired this in with the jumper in place because it's supposed to give a much more loose gain. It does that but, nothing like as much as I expected.

The jumper setting is what I expected from the pickup without the jumper in. Not to say that this pickup is a bad one at all but, it'll be going into the neck position of my next V.

It's louder than the AHB-1 and a tad angrier. The AHB-3 EMTY is tighter and more compressed than both with slightly more mid-high definition according to those who've used it.

Similar to whiskeys, the difference between a blend and a single malt. Anyone might tell the difference, only a connoisseur would really appreciate the difference.
        Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Not a big fan of the AHB2. The AHB1n is killler (in both positions) as is the EMTY bridge.
          -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
          I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

I really like the Ahb-2. Easily my fave active pickup, but it's best suited for 80's metal tones & shred. Thick & hot but kind of round & chunky...lots of harmonic richness in the mids, not as cutting as an EMG 81..
            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

The AHB2 is a great chugging/ metal pickup but does not have a useable clean tone. The AHB1 has far too much output, I lost all sense of picking dynamics, it sounded like the pickup was always on "11" even when I turned down the volume knob.

Comment

There are three kinds!?!?!?!?!

I have no idea which one I have, but I love it. I'm guessing a 1.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                X