De-wound sh-55 results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-wound sh-55 results

So, I had a JS Moore humbucker in the neck of my tele that I'm sending back to get a coil tap on the stud coil (so the split sounds more like a true single) and I needed a neck humbucker in my telecaster while I wait for Jon to do the surgery.

I wanted to try out the sh-55 but people like the neck so much they're hard to find, and I didn't want to drop the money on a new one. I picked up a bridge model (with a neck label which is odd) that read in at 8.1k. It was also potted, buy only very slightly. The coils came off with almost no resistance so the potting was superficial.

I pulled off .8k worth of windings (taking the screw coil from 4.05k to 3.25k) and put everything back together, and wired a coil tap while I was in there. I didn't have the time or patience to wire it up for series/parallel like the JS Moore was.

The pickup read 7.55k when I put it back together, but IDK. I measured the coil itself while I was pulling off windings so maybe it's the solder or something.

At any rate, 7.5k is about right for the neck and it turned out great. The wire is fragile but if you're careful it isn't difficult at all. I'm sorry that I don't have pictures or sound clips, but if you want unbalanced coils and a pickup that splits decently well into a single, it's a good way to do it without breaking the bank.

I'm really excited to get the JS Moore back though because it is already my favorite sounding neck humbucker. Hopefully it'll have a passable strat sound too.
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Re: De-wound sh-55 results

Brave man - I'd be a bit scared trying to unwind that very fragile looking wire.

Comment

If there's little to no potting it's not very difficult. It's all but hopeless if it's encased in that heavy wax because it will often break while you're pulling it off and good luck finding the end of the break, whereas with no potting you can find it fairly easily if you have younger eyes than mine or a magnifying glass.
      Generic signature line.

Comment

I totally broke the wire while I was unwinding it - 3 or 4 times to be exact. But, it was easy enough to feel around and find the wire because it was basically unpotted.

Really, the wire I had to add for the coil tap was more difficult because the cover didn't go back on straight at first.

Everything together, it's brighter than I was expecting - A5-like almost. Which is entirely possible because it was advertised as a SH-55N with short legs and wound to 8.1k (meaning it was at least a sh-55b and at most not even a duncan pickup, so idk.). It had the right bobbins and a maple spacer though, so I'm thinking it's probably just a mislabeled SH55 bridge. Still sounds great, just not as great as the JS moore that came out of there.
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Working...
        X