X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P rails and a standard 3-way telecaster switch

I want to hook up my p-rails using this diagram:

http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/images/...1v_1t_tspp.jpg

The only difference is that I have a standard 3 way tele switch instead of a les paul switch. How do I wire the switch?

Re: P rails and a standard 3-way telecaster switch

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele_switch.png
Views:	1
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	5772669

Edit: Sorry, ignore my previous response - I misread the question. Posting n00b.

Further edit: I notice that this is also your first post - out of curiosity, was there some kind of delay after writing it that you had to wait for moderator approval? I tried to start a few topics over the weekend, but they're still lost in the ether...
    Last edited by thqm3; 10-28-2013, 06:16 PM.
    If you can't operate a soldering iron, stick to acoustic.

Comment

I did have a delay, I posted this on Saturday and just noticed it going up today.

Any way, I wired the switch just like that and it works correctly, however I can tell the push/pulls affect the volume of the coils, but don't turn them off entirely. Is that normal? It seems like they should turn off completely. I've looked over my wiring 10 times and it looks like all the connections are correct and I can't find any long wires making accidental connections.
      Last edited by kbeav; 10-30-2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I'm also wondering why there is a ground wire from the LP switch but not from the telecaster switch.

Comment

Strat and Tele switches are usually sufficiently grounded through the control plate or cavity shield, but in rear-routed guitars you can ground the switch casing.

The coils should be completely grounded if it's all done correctly, but if you're testing by tapping the deactivated poles a little interference is normal, unless I'm doing it wrong too.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I didn't occur to me that the cavity shield could ground the switch. I actually do have a rear-route.
            Does the interference mean that the strings are picked up by the deactivated coil or is it only because I'm hitting them with a screwdriver?

Comment

Hard to tell without access to your guitar, but it's probably just the physical contact with the poles that causes the sound to come through - it should be very quiet compared to the active coil though. If you have a tuning fork you can test the volume of each coil by giving it a flick and moving it slowly across the magnetic field of the pickup, perpendicular to the strings.

Comment

Working...
              X