2 HB, humming when in position 1 & 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 HB, humming when in position 1 & 3

I am getting some hum in positions 1 & 3 of a 2 HB guitar. Pickups are an A2P and CC. In position 2, the hum goes away. Volume, tone, 3 way switch. The 3 way is funky, like in the pic. The pic isn't mine, but it is the basic idea (same guitar model). What would cause 2 HB to hum when on alone, but not together? The funky switch? Essentially, the stock switch has 9 connections on the bottom, and they are conneced with a small PC board. Would this cause the hum? I do have a similar switch (on on on ) with 12 connections on the bottom, but not enough is known about it to try it yet. Anything I should try before I change the switch?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	5830658
    Last edited by Mincer; 10-28-2013, 04:23 PM.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Re: 2 HB, humming when in position 1 & 3

Are you sure that both coils of each pup are on when each is selected by the switch? Check to make sure the switch isn't splitting the pups when they are selected by themselves.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Nope, it is on full. I do have splits wired to a push/pull tone pot, which you can clearly hear splits the coils (with corresponding noise). The hum in full humbucking mode is quieter- but more hum than in any humbucking guitar I have ever heard, which is why I was concerned.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Which pups are they? Are they high output pups? Are you playing with lots of amp gain or high volume? Fluorescent lights on? Ungrounded outlets?
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
        X