Using one coil from a humbucker as a single coil pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using one coil from a humbucker as a single coil pickup

What you're looking at is a coil from a Dimarzio Super 3 humbucker. Many years ago, I bought the humbucker on eBay. Later, I discovered that one coil was bad. I removed the good coil, and now I am trying to use it as a single coil pickup in a Telemaster I am building. The pickup will be under the pickguard in the neck position.

My question is whether it looks correct. I do get a reading of around 13K, and taping on the pickup does produce the normal sounds of a regular pickup. However, there seems to be little magnetic attraction to metal on the top of the pickup. Is this normal? I thought there would be more. I did grind the polepieces down flat to the underside of the bobbin so the magnet would lay flat. The polepieces are touching the magnet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Telemaster Build 8.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	5830663

This is the guitar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Telemaster Build 10.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	5830664

Also, there's quite a bit of hum. Is there any way to insulate the pickup.

Any help appreciated. Perry

Re: Using one coil from a humbucker as a single coil pickup

If thats the original magnet that was in the humbucker, you'll probably need to rotate it 90-deg's on its long axis. The poles are along the long edge. Hook the pup up and tap on it, then rotate the magnet and tap again. It should be much louder when turned.

Comment

Why not just wrap wire around the magnet itself? Basically making a lipstick pickup . . .
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        If thats the original magnet that was in the humbucker, you'll probably need to rotate it 90-deg's on its long axis. The poles are along the long edge. Hook the pup up and tap on it, then rotate the magnet and tap again. It should be much louder when turned.
        I tested the pickup both ways today. You are correct. The pickup is much louder the way you suggested.

I do, however, want to get magnets that are half the width of the ones I have, which are 1/2 inch wide. These from Mojotone should work.

I could put one on each side of the polepieces.

However, I'm still concerned about the hum. I know single coil pickups hum, but how much is acceptable? I would like to test a single coil in my workshop to get some kind of comparison.

Thanks ArtieToo and GuitarStv for your replies.

Comment

Working...
        X