Pickup to match Peavey Vandenberg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup to match Peavey Vandenberg

I'm looking to replace my pickups (currently EMG) in my super strat (maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, unknown body). I have a Peavey Vandanberg (maple neck, ebony fingerboard, poplar body, 24.75" scale) that I really like the sound.

What Seymour Duncan (or Dimarzio) pickup will be the closest to the humbucker in the Vandenberg?

Re: Pickup to match Peavey Vandenberg

I believe the original pickup was a ceramic. have you tried to google and specs for it to have a better idea about the character of that pickup?

Comment

It's an alnico 5. Not much info on google, it's an old guitar!

Comment

A5? the original pickup? did they have a running change on the pickup used in that guitar, because I'd put a buffalo nickel down that it was ceramic. I just did a quick google and there's a lot there to go through, so maybe someone else will jump on that. have you tried to call Peavy?

for now, looking at the specs of the guitar is that it's poplar with an ebony board with a maple neck-thru. that really gives you a lot of options to work with. since you don't know much for now about the specs of the original pickup, what tone is it that you'd like out of the guitar? what type of music are you playing? is there a tone on an album that you can cite as an example?

Comment

I don't want to change the pickup on the Vandenberg, I just want a similar pickup. Note that I'm a totally novice regarding pickups, so it's hard for me to explain what I like.

What I like about this pickup (I might be totally out in the field but...): crispy, responsive to pick attack, no bass mud, some mid (I think).
          I play 70', 80' and 90' rock.

Comment

Better idea - replace both with Duncan Distorations.

seems to be the sound you want. Is the VAndy hot medium or mild?

Can't believe no data on this?!?!?!?!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Can't believe no data on this?!?!?!?!
              that's what I'm saying.

go here: http://www.peavey.com/support/contactinfo/
              or here: http://forums.peavey.com:81/

keep in mind that even if you got the same pickup that it won't sound the same in the super strat. different woods, different scales, etc.

just put a JB in there and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                that's what I'm saying.
                keep in mind that even if you got the same pickup that it won't sound the same in the super strat. different woods, different scales, etc.
                I totally understand that. I was thinking of putting a Screamin' Demon (really what I was looking for) but I think the output will be too low and I will have to create a new set of patches only for that guitar.

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                that's what I'm saying.
                just put a JB in there and call it a day.
                That's currently my idea, to put something as a starting point because now I have nothing to compare to. Is a JB mid-scooped? Maybe a Custom Custom will be more what I should looking for.

Thanks

Comment

Better idea - replace both with Duncan Distorations.
                  Don't want to touch the Vandenberg, I really like this guitar as it is

Is the VAndy hot medium or mild?
                  Supposed to be hot output. How can I mesure the pickup output?

Comment

I got this bit of info here: http://forums.peavey.com:81/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7310

"The pickups are one Alnico humbucker (bridge) and one Alnico single coil (neck), a typical Adrian Vandenbergpickup configuration. Both manufactured by Peavey to Adrian's specs, and with medium/high output. Both pickups are placed at a 2 degree angle (parallel with the body's bottom edge), something Adrian says harmonically balances the overall signal. This eliminates the string spacing problem associated with Gibson spaced pickups in comdination with Fender spaced tremoloes. The humbucker has a sweet midrange sound like a Duncan Custom, but it has more overtones and hotter output. The single coil pickup is also a bit dark sounding and hotter than a standard strat pickup"
                    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                      How can I mesure the pickup output?
                      with your ears

Comment

Pickup in my guitar will always have way more output than pickups on the store shelf...

Comment

I LOVE Vandys! Have wanted one since they orig came out. If you cant find the info online, ask at the PV forum.. Ive always had good luck getting info there. If the forumites dont know, the admins chime in. Now.. I dont know what the vandy pups have, but IIRC correctly, Id say the Custom would be a good pup to start with in your other guitar. U mentioned a CC, but the CC is mid focused. The Custom covers alot of ground and best thing is, you can tweak it with mag changes if you dont gel with it.
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I have passed on a couple in my life and mildly regret it.

I'd love to have a matching pair of pink Vandenberg and White Nightswan for that iconic Whitesnake look (because we all KNOW the actual sound was a Les Paul + Dirty Fingers....)
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by chris effect View Post
                              Good info!

Comment

Working...
                              X