basswood body....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basswood body....

Ok i own a bunch of guitars and i have found my combo in most cases. if it's mahogany i put a JB in the bridge...if it's alder it gets hot rails. i'm contemplating buying a guitar which is made up of a baswood body and solid maple neck? what duncans or dare i say it dimarzio's should i consider to get a sound i like based on what i use in alder and mahogany guitars. i play mostly metal and heavy punk and i like a lot of low end so no thin sounding pickups...also not an invader they tend to have too little top end and a mush of low end from the times i tried them. any help would be great. thanks.

-Mike
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Re: basswood body....

two of my guitars have basswood bodies and the Distortion works great in them. It really warms up the tone and you get a nice fat chewy distortion.

Comment

really? i had two distortions, i just sold them, i had one in a strat way way way tooo thin due to the alder, the other was in a Les Paul with a ebony fretboard and even in that it was a bit too thin sounding. i'm thinking about the duncan custom but i'm not sure, i may try my hand at a dimarzio for once also, i'm not sure yet (thus why i ask all of you!). i only have one basswood guitar and it has an EMG 81 in it and i never play it so the basswood thing is new to me.

-Mike
      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I like the Custom a lot for hard rock and metal. It should balance nicely in basswood.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I used to have a basswood Ibanez with a Floyd and a single DD...It sounded killer!!!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

for Duncans i would say DUNCAN DISTORTION Bridge.
            a lot of folks here seem to like it.
            and for DImarzios i would say EVOLUTION, Super Distortion, Drop Sonic.
            Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
            Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
            Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
            Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
            Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
            Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
            Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
            Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

If it has a Floyd, or even if it doesn't, I would consider the Blues Trembucker. I had one in my Wolfgang for a while and I really liked it. I'm thinking about putting it in a different guitar.

One thing to keep in mind, while basswood sounds good, it is a very soft wood. Based on my experiences with a Wolfgang, I would never buy another basswood guitar. So far, I've had the screw holes for the output jack strip, the pickup mounting holes strip, and the tremolo spring claw holes strip. It's not like I'm constantly adjusting these things either, on the few occasions that I have adjusted them, turning the screws causes a bit of sawdust to come out. It's just way too soft and lacks the durability of my other guitars, which are alder and mahogany. Just keep that in mind if you're going to buy a basswood guitar.

Ryan
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I like the Distortion an awful lot. The Custom kicks arse as well.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                X