Wiring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wiring Question

Ok, look at this diagram using two caps. When the bottom pup isn't selected, its electrically isolated:

Now look at this one with a shared cap. Look at the green line that connects the unselected pup to the selected one's signal path:

I'm still betting that thats the problem.

Comment

Granted, the two caps are connected to ground, but thats also two caps to attenuate the signal drastically.

Give me a sec, I'll modify that top diagram.

Comment

This diagram is electrically identical to the first. Just rearranged differently to make it easier to see the path of the green line.

Notice that the signal would have to pass through both caps, which have the bottom shunted to ground.

Comment

Well, I went back through and took my time to get each wire the exact length it needs to be and ran all wires in a uniform manner. Now, if there was a problem, troubleshooting can be done without even touching the guitar. Of course, in doing so, I fixed the problem. Everything works fine, except the tone for the bridge is kooky! I am going to the Shack in a short while and will get a few caps and a lower wattage pencil iron. I think I am going with the 40 watt package. I had a 25 watter once, and it took forever to get the pots warm enough to draw a bead of solder.

Thanks again for all your assistance, Artie. I truly appreciate the time you sacrificed to help an SD brethern.

Have A BLessed Evening!
          Allen

P.S. Here is a pic of the finished project, less bridge capacitor.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
          ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

Your' welcome Allen - but it wasn't a "sacrifice". Its how I relax.

Sorry, I forgot about the soldering iron question. 40 watt is definitely what you want. 45, if they have it. Let us know how it comes out.

Comment

One last question, for now, anyway!

The Shack only the following capacitors available for immediate purchase:

Will these suffice in the axe?
              ~ Life In Every Breath~

Comment

If you mean that specific uf value, then probably not. .22uf is going to roll off a tremendous amount of highs. Most of the SD schematics show .047 or .022uf.

With a value that large, the tone control would actually act more like a volume control.

Comment

Good Call, not paying attentino to detail. How about these:

~ Life In Every Breath~

Comment

Much better!

Comment

Working...
                    X