banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P-rail set in a Schecter Custom Solo E/A . . . which bridge pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-rail set in a Schecter Custom Solo E/A . . . which bridge pickup?

Just picked up a Schecter Custom Solo E/A and absolutely love it.

It's got a push pull knob to split the humbucker coils, but I'm really not impressed by the tonal versatility from the pickups. They are a SD Custom Custom and a SD '59.

In the past, I've had a P-rail in the bridge of a Jackson Soloist w/ a Triple Shot ring, and loved the tonal versatility. So I've decided to get a P-rail set w/ triple shot rings for this guitar. I can't recall if I used a SHPR-2b "hot" or a normal 1b.

The reviews of the 2b hot P-rail seem pretty bad, but less than thorough. Some suggest that it might too feedback-y in a semi-hollow. I don't have much experience with semi-hollows, and especially not ones that have plently of laminated wood.

Since, I already have a piezo pickup in the Powerbridge setup, I had thought the normal bridge 1b parallel setting might be a little too similar in tone . . . and I wonder if I would have a broader palette of tones if I got the 2b.

Also . . .what to do with the push-pull knob now?

Any suggestions or thoughts?

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Produ...ustom-E-A.aspx
    [/COLOR]

Re: P-rail set in a Schecter Custom Solo E/A . . . which bridge pickup?

if it was me id stick with the 1b just cause i like the tone better, i dont think youd have any feedback problems using the 2b if you wanted more juice

Comment

I have the P-Rails Hot and love it! I think the people that give it a bad review had different expectations. It actually is a really good pickup if you want a hot, full P-90/humbucker tone. Not sure what kind of music you're playing with a hollowbody, so it might not be what you're looking for, but it is a really good pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Crowyote View Post
        It's got a push pull knob to split the humbucker coils, but I'm really not impressed by the tonal versatility from the pickups. They are a SD Custom Custom and a SD '59.

I can't recall if I used a SHPR-2b "hot" or a normal 1b.

Some suggest that it might too feedback-y in a semi-hollow. I don't have much experience with semi-hollows
        In HB mode, the bridge model is almost 18K, more than twice what a bridge PAF is. That's hot, and very warm (low resontant peak). For me, way too hot for a semi-hollow, especially if you're at higher gain or volumes. Putting the neck model in the bridge slot makes the HB mode more usable, but then the P-90 and single modes are brighter and weaker. If you're not using all the modes, it's not a particularly versatile PU. You may put on bells and whistles you wouldn't use.

There's a lot of ways to increase PU versatility. I wire my guitars for independent volume controls (switching which wires go to the lugs on the volume pot); that lets you blend each PU's volume in many increments with the other one. Lots of tones to be had there. I also wire my neck HB's for spin-a-split (a second volume control for one coil only); the unbalanced coils change sound as you dial it down, all the way to coil cut. Again, lots of blending available. Both of these mods use the existing parts (nothing added, not even a push-pull) and are easy to do. Those two simple mods open up a tone palette, which to me is far preferrable to a P-Rails with options I wouldn't use.

On this forum, both of your existing PU's are regularly used for magnet swaps, which change the EQ of a PU. There's a variety of magnets available, and online instruction on how to do it (which is easy). You can change the EQ's you have now for a few dolalrs.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
          In HB mode, the bridge model is almost 18K, more than twice what a bridge PAF is. That's hot, and very warm (low resontant peak). For me, way too hot for a semi-hollow, especially if you're at higher gain or volumes. Putting the neck model in the bridge slot makes the HB mode more usable, but then the P-90 and single modes are brighter and weaker. If you're not using all the modes, it's not a particularly versatile PU. You may put on bells and whistles you wouldn't use.

There's a lot of ways to increase PU versatility. I wire my guitars for independent volume controls (switching which wires go to the lugs on the volume pot); that lets you blend each PU's volume in many increments with the other one. Lots of tones to be had there. I also wire my neck HB's for spin-a-split (a second volume control for one coil only); the unbalanced coils change sound as you dial it down, all the way to coil cut. Again, lots of blending available. Both of these mods use the existing parts (nothing added, not even a push-pull) and are easy to do. Those two simple mods open up a tone palette, which to me is far preferrable to a P-Rails with options I wouldn't use
          Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know they made a SHPR-2n "hot" neck pickup.

All the DIY stuff you mentioned is over my head. I'm having a tech do the work. I'm going with triple shot rings.

Also my guitar has one pickup volume, one piezo volume and a tone control for both pu's which is push-pull.

I'm curious about combined tones between the hot and normal pu's, the potential tone range of the combo intrigues me.

I generally play jazz, rock, swing, blues and psychedelia.

Comment

P-Rails are really great sounding pups. When they first came out I wrote a pretty thorough review of them, especially the "Hot" in the bridge. It is indeed very hot in humbucker mode and at first I was pretty disappointed in it. But I tried quite a few different magnet combinations in it and ever since it has been my #1 pup in my #1 guitar. What I ended up with is an existing A8 mag next to the Rail coil and an A5 (polished) next to the P-90 coil. Then I mounted it in the bridge position with the Rail coil next to the bridge. It really sounds terrific.

Oh, and when using the Triple Shot rings, I find them much more intuitive if you wire them using the alternative method. Then the active coil is the one that the switches are pointing to. This seems so much more logical to me.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I'm selling this guitar on eBay btw.

The pickup upgrades, a regular P-rail set with Triple Shot rings, really did the job. It sounds fantastic.

I acheived my favorite jazz tone with both pickups on parallel and the tone turned all the way down. Absolutely smooth as can be.

However, I just decided I wanted to switch to a different scale length (and gotta pay some bills), so adios Schecter!

I'll be getting P-rails and Triple Shots on my next axe.

Look up Schecter Custom Solo E/a P-rails if interested.

I don't know if links are allowed and I don't wanna break forum rules.

Comment

Working...
              X