What pickups question again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups question again...

I'm planning a build from Warmoth or USA Custom Guitars. It will be a superstrat with 24.75" scale, 22 or 24 frets. Hardtail bridge.
    All maple neck, solid body will be mahogany, korina or alder.
    Pickups routed will be H-x-S or H-S-S
    Humbucker in bridge for gainy rhytm tones, progressive rock/metal, hard rock and into melodic metal territory sometimes. I like rather middy humbuckers in the bridge. I have a Tom Anderson HN3 in a guitar and it's just perfect. Lots of mids, not muddy not shrill. It's considered higain but not over the top at all, it still has lots of clarity and articulation. And it's CRUNCHY without bee/buzzy distortion. What SD would be similar? I could get the same again, but I like variation so someting in this ballpark but still different. I have a pair of Full Shreds in another guitar. THey're great, but i'm looking for something warmer, middier for this guitar. But maybe similar values output-wise? I hate mud, boomy and icepicky, that's for sure...

A single coil in the neck would be used for solos. Now, I like fluid, sustainrick soloing. Think Petrucci and Sfogli. Of course, they're both using humbuckers so I could also go that route. But, I'd also like to have the option to go more towards Malmsteen type of stuff. More clear, raw tone so to speak... I'm strongly considering a Fury neck. Would that be able to do all of the above? I'd like noise cancelling for this pup.

If i also get the body routed for a middle SC, I would like to go more classic, bluesy single coil for that one. POsition 2, 3 and 4 on the 5-way would be more of standard strat tones. Any suggestions?

I use a AxeFx II, so I can dial in pretty much anything ampwise.

Shoot me some suggestions folks, I'm all ears!!
    Rek Custom Guitar (Duncan Full Shred set)
    Peavey Vandenberg Ed.2 (Tom Anderson HN3, DiMarzio Chopper)
    Peavey Vandenberg Custom Quilt Top (Stock pickups)
Working...
X