My first pickup... is finished.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first pickup... is finished.

I hope the link works - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153441050700284

Please excuse the playing - I use a basic riff for pickup tests, rather than go nuts on something that people can't follow.

The description is in the video.

I'd be glad of any feedback but, don't be too critical. I know there's room for improvement.

Cheers.
    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Re: My first pickup... is finished.

that does sound really bright and trebly; that'd be a great tone to play around with some mods, lots of potential IMO; nice work. Kind of makes me want to do a magnet swap on some of my muddier pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by acuralytic View Post
      that does sound really bright and trebly; that'd be a great tone to play around with some mods, lots of potential IMO; nice work. Kind of makes me want to do a magnet swap on some of my muddier pickups.
      Thank you mate

It's in a battered strat that I'm using as a testbed (until I get all the correct parts for it) So, there's every chance it'll sound a bit better in a stable guitar.

It's not very loud, I've got no idea how many turns are on the bobbins but, I filled it right to the edge.

It's quite a full sound on the distortion though. I'm not sure what kind of gain settings it'd be useful in - perhaps rock rather than metal.

If I can find an AlNiCo 12, I'm going to wind another pickup that's hoping to be very dark.

The other pickup I've got needs some serious skill to do - that's got N52 magnets in it. 4 of them.

Comment

It doesn't sound overly bright (all the way out here!).
        How long did it take you to wind? What did you use?
        Pretty cool.....

Comment

keep on plugging away, mate.

if it takes one or two or ten or twenty, you'll nail the tone you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Diminished Triad View Post
            It doesn't sound overly bright (all the way out here!).
            How long did it take you to wind? What did you use?
            Pretty cool.....
            Did you watch in HD..? :P That gives the true sound more accurately.

The pickup is in the middle position in the guitar so, for a true bridge representation, I'll have to record again sometime.

Each coil took about 6 hours non stop. I've wired it directly to SD coloured wires - so, it's very basic in it's construction.

I've used 38 SWG (I think that's 34 AWG) wire and no idea how many turns. I didn't count - just winged it and an Alnico 9 magnet.

It is very quiet as you'd expect for a low number of coils but, sounds alright to me.

I'm just happy it makes a sound at all.

Comment

The clean bits sounded good to me. Bright yes but the tonality is reminiscent of an acoustic guitar. I gotta say though, the gainy bits sounded absolutely terrible. You might want to work on recording/mixing/micing technique to get it sounding good/accurate in that regard

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
                The clean bits sounded good to me. Bright yes but the tonality is reminiscent of an acoustic guitar. I gotta say though, the gainy bits sounded absolutely terrible. You might want to work on recording/mixing/micing technique to get it sounding good/accurate in that regard
                Yeah, the high gain did sound pretty bad. Probably because, that's the tone setup for the EMG 707 and it really doesn't mix well with the passive A9.

Also, it's not potted so, that may have a bearing on the sound of it - and a motley collection of strings. When I build the test guitar (a maple strat H with a hardtail and volume/tone controls) it'll have Dean Markley's HD strings on it so, that should make the clean tone even sharper.

Probably spring time, I'm thinking. I'm also going to do a magnet test on a JB model for the bridge - same riff as in the video for clean. Maybe the same for the chorus or perhaps something a little different and something low tuned for the distortion setting.

For the record, I'm using the Twin Tube Mayhem pedal for the high-gain.

Comment

Working...
                X