Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker mount direction

Hi all,
    Assume we have a guitar and two humbuckers. Each humbucker has screws for one coil and slugs for the other. In many guitars, pickups are mounted so that screw coils are outer and slug coils are inner. On the other hand, the place that the wire comes out of the pickup should be probably placed towards electronics (near right bottom corner).
    The problem is that some neck pickups are built so that if the wire comes out near right bottom corner, the screw coil is placed closer to the bridge and slug coil closer to the neck, which is opposite to typical configuration found in many H-H guitars. I think if it affects sound, especially in coil-split mode. Which humbucker mount direction is correct, or better?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    BaZie

Ibanez RG270 BK
    Epiphone Les Paul Studio EB
    Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue TB
    Epiphone Explorer Pro TV Silver
    Digitech RP300

Re: Humbucker mount direction

Originally posted by bazie View Post
    Hi all,
    Assume we have a guitar and two humbuckers. Each humbucker has screws for one coil and slugs for the other. In many guitars, pickups are mounted so that screw coils are outer and slug coils are inner. On the other hand, the place that the wire comes out of the pickup should be probably placed towards electronics (near right bottom corner).
    The problem is that some neck pickups are built so that if the wire comes out near right bottom corner, the screw coil is placed closer to the bridge and slug coil closer to the neck, which is opposite to typical configuration found in many H-H guitars. I think if it affects sound, especially in coil-split mode. Which humbucker mount direction is correct, or better?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Not all humbuckers are created equal. Some have flat pole pieces and "screw" pole pieces, some have allen type pole pieces (think Super Distortion) and some have "rail" type like a hot rail (think of LiquiFire it has pole pieces + a rail on one side)

Each humbucker has a "north pole" and a "south pole". The instructions that came in the box should describe what color wires come out of each of the respective "poles".

So my advice is read the p/u's directions, do your homework and look for Ytube vids on wiring up that particular p/u.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by ~Vintage~; 11-11-2013, 07:20 AM.

Comment

No. If you mount the humbucker "upside down" (meaning, just rotating the pup in the rout) it will not affect the phase and will not sound thin.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        No. If you mount the humbucker "upside down" (meaning, just rotating the pup in the rout) it will not affect the phase and will not sound thin.
        Sorry, I edited that. I was experiencing diarrhea of the keyboard at that moment!

Comment

it does sound a tiny bit different, i've had okay results just flipping it. Doesn't do anything really special though but if your pickup sounds just a bit off, it's worth a shot to see if you like it better that way I found it really helped to flip the dimebucker in the bridge of an old guitar i have, that thing's balance was all off though YMMV

Comment

Working...
          X