banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If SD59n suits my guitar...will the Custom 5, too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If SD59n suits my guitar...will the Custom 5, too?

I'm thinking of putting a Custom 5 in the bridge of my Les Paul, but I'm feeling little put off by the reports saying that it's very midscooped. However, the 59n is also said to be a little midscooped and it's working very well in this guitar. Would you say that the Custom 5 is likely to suit me? Mostly playing lightly overdriven blues or rock.

Re: If SD59n suits my guitar...will the Custom 5, too?

It's an extremely scooped pickup. I had one in my Les Paul years back and just could never vibe with it, it has a lot of bass and treble, but the mids were non existent and it made the pickup sound pretty harsh. I ended up using a regular Custom instead, it sounds much fuller and matches the 59n very well. Alternatively, I've also tried the 59b in a few guitars, and it's extremely versatile, you can get a lot of crunch from it if you're only playing up to some heavy rock/even some hair-metal styled stuff.

I have no experience with it, (so take this with a grain of salt) but just from listening to clips I'd love to try the 59/Custom Hybrid, that sounds perfect for what you'd want in a pickup.
    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Comment

I tried a Custom-5 in a USA all mahogany Explorer = I don't like it, first impression is big fat power chords sound great with a very 90s rock aura, but soon noticed a lack of sparkle, leads sound constricted, it's like beyond a certain frequency everything was muted.

I liked the original Custom much better, but I could not live with the clean sound.

Currently I'm running a 59b in that guitar and am pretty happy with it, I have a Whole Lotta Humbucker coming in the mail I'm looking forward to giving a try.

Comment

stock custom is good choice. for your style, 59 could be a great choice. even the custom/59 hybrid. My suggestion is the Custom8.. but im a bit partial.

Comment

Go for a 59/custom hybrid, you will like the balance and eq better.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by dvanburen View Post
            stock custom is good choice. for your style, 59 could be a great choice. even the custom/59 hybrid. My suggestion is the Custom8.. but im a bit partial.
            +1. C8's really have replaced C5's and CC's; it's much better than either of them. C5's are bright and thin, and CC's are too dark for many types of woods, and have a loose low end. C8's correct all those issues. Duncan needs to put C8's into production and just make C5's and CC's on a special-order basis. They're obsolete at this point.
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Tumblinman View Post
              I'm thinking of putting a Custom 5 in the bridge of my Les Paul, but I'm feeling little put off by the reports saying that it's very midscooped. However, the 59n is also said to be a little midscooped and it's working very well in this guitar. Would you say that the Custom 5 is likely to suit me? Mostly playing lightly overdriven blues or rock.
              I think so. Of course the c5 is not a 59b. If you prefer the 59n over A2 neck pickups and want a mid-heavy bridge pickups I'd say go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumblinman View Post
                I'm thinking of putting a Custom 5 in the bridge of my Les Paul, but I'm feeling little put off by the reports saying that it's very midscooped...Mostly playing lightly overdriven blues or rock.
                C5's are midscooped; if that's an issue, it's probably not the PU for you. As a blues player, I like a warmer bridge sound, and C5's are too bright and thin for me. A '59N will sound fuller because of the string energy in that slot, which adds a lot of mids and lows. The same PU in the bridge slot will be much brighter and thinner. As in real estate, location is important.
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                  +1. C8's really have replaced C5's and CC's; it's much better than either of them. C5's are bright and thin, and CC's are too dark for many types of woods, and have a loose low end. C8's correct all those issues. Duncan needs to put C8's into production and just make C5's and CC's on a special-order basis. They're obsolete at this point.
                  Bold statement. But I'm totally with you

Comment

i vote no, unless you're really into QOTSA's sound

Comment

Originally posted by dvanburen View Post
                      Bold statement. But I'm totally with you
                      Not that bold. I'm just thinking of posts about the various Customs over the last 4 or 5 years since A8's became commonly available. The talk, and interest in, C5's and CC's fell off a cliff when A8's became commonly available here. C8's do what many players had wished C5's and CC's did. I think a good number of people have felt let down by C5's being so bright and thin, and CC's being so warm and loose. They're not particularly versatile PU's (except with a mag swap!) Granted C8's are not for everyone. But for players wanting a hard-hitting, hot bridge PU with a firm low-end, and that cleans up well, C8's outperform many of the competition.

Comment

send all your custom 5's to me please
                        Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                        http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Originally posted by Progbusters View Post
                          send all your custom 5's to me please
                          All of my C5's have UOA5's or A8's in them. For me, C5's have gone the way of the dinosaurs, as have regular Customs (SH-5). I have one lone CC left, in a bright-toned guitar.

Comment

the first c5 I made was from a custom and I unknowingly put an old rough cast magnet in. this is back when I had my sg and it sounded amazing but wasn't the best match for the 59n I had been using so I swapped it out for a pgn and was much happier. the 59n/custom combo was a great match

Comment

How about a Whole Lotta Humbucker bridge? Or 59/custom
                              -IM

Comment

Working...
                              X