Lets talk dog ear P90s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk dog ear P90s.

OK, so i am referring to 1950's P90s here.

What would have been an average out put for such a gem, ermmm, pick up ?

And what would be the average out put of a 'hot' P90 ?

Generally speaking, off course.

Cheers

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: Lets talk dog ear P90s.

No one wants to take a chance on this one ?
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were all over the place, from 7kish to 9kish - if you're talking true vintage.
      "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Are you talking about millivolts?
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
          It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were all over the place, from 7kish to 9kish - if you're talking true vintage.

Thanks man !

So i take it, it is save to say, a P90 that is described as a 'hot' unit is from 9K-on wards/up wards ?

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            Are you talking about millivolts?
            Nope, i am more referring to the 'lay-mans', DC Ohms.

Comment

So you want to know the resistance, not the output.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I have no way of telling true "output" but in resistance...

Old Gibson was old and thus, shall we say, less than accurate? And P-90 from what I understand has a lot of room for error. I'd guess most were around 7k. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the occasional 6k or as high as 9k.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

As far as output, P-90's are fairly loud because of the two magnets. There's 2 magnets per coil, versus an HB, which has 1/2 magnet per coil. Magnets are a big part of the output.
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                    As far as output, P-90's are fairly loud because of the two magnets. There's 2 magnets per coil, versus an HB, which has 1/2 magnet per coil.
                    Magnets are a big part of the output.

Understood.

Phil X (as most might know by now) is also a big P90 fan.

<--- (8m10sec to 8m25sec), even he has to point out that the tone he is getting is because of the P90.
                    Not a 50's instrument, but a Vintage P90 non the less.

Comment

Just installed my P-90 Stack, god i love the sound of this thing

Click image for larger version

Name:	1000366_10200787677153573_586184427_n.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	5772828
                      Speak through your fingers. Let your heart play, not your mind.

Comment

. . . ^ ^ ^ bloody hell mate - what is that thing ?

Do explain !

We need more photos too !

Comment

Working...
                        X