banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Singlecoils complement the Screamin Demon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Singlecoils complement the Screamin Demon?

Hey guys!

I have this new Strat in the making. It's all maple except for the Indian Rosewood fingerboard. I already know that I'm going to use the Screamin Demon in the bridge position, so the question that remains is what singlecoils I should put in the neck and mid positions. The singlecoils should definitely sound chimey and vintagey, but they still need to be hot enough to guarantee a somewhat seamless transition from bridge to neck position, without any large volume drops.

Re: Which Singlecoils complement the Screamin Demon?

SSL2 or SLSD1
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 11-11-2013, 07:46 PM.

Comment

That's the setup I have on my Black Paisley Stratocaster: HSS with a Demon in the bridge (split or series). I have a Di'marzio SDS-1 in the neck and a True Velvet neck model in the middle. It sounds great to me. The middle setting sounds like a classic Strat, and the neck and bridge are hot, thick, and creamy. It's kind of like playing a Gibson when you ignore the middle position, but you can also get it to sound like a Fender if you use the middle. I don't like what RW/RP middle pickups do when you are in the "notch" positions, which is why I used the neck model pickup for the middle position. The notch tones sound very good with this guitar - much better than the wimpy SSS notch tones IMHO.
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-11-2013, 11:02 PM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
        SSL2 or SLSD1
        I'm not a big fan of Humbuckers in Singlecoil sizes, so I guess the SLSD1 would not be an option for me. However, the SSL2 does sound interesting, my only concern is if there will be a somewhat steep volume drop if i switch from SD to SSL2? Can I use the SSL2 with 500k pots for volume and tone or will they sound harsh? How about the SSL1? Would the SSL1 be a no-go for 10"-16" compound radius guitars?

Comment

The Demon isn't a high output monster, so middle and neck are going to sound louder.

Comment

Working...
          X