No announcement yet.

Help! (With wiring a Seth Lover . . .)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! (With wiring a Seth Lover . . .)

I just got my new pickups in (a Seth Lover Bridge and '59 N) and am all ready to wire them up and stuff . . . I just have a couple of questions. Umm, the four conductor with the '59 totally makes sense to me, I have the diagram and everything, but the Seth Lover has like one single wire with a shiny metal looking casing . . . From what I understand, the casing is the ground and the wire in the middle is the live connection. Here's my question before I go and do this all wrong:

Since I have a semi-hollow body guitar and there's no cavity on the back, I was going to just snip out the old pickups and use the leads from them to solder everything onto. Will I run into problems if I solder the outer casing part of the Seth Lover's wiring to the ground from the old leads? Should I just take out all of the pots and fish everything through the f-holes? (Normally this is what I would do, but it's such a ***** getting to all the components, and I'm worried about scraping the edges of the f-holes while I do it too. Just soldering to the old leads is much preferred)

PS - Thank you Thank you Thank you Lew! I really appreciate you going out of your way to make sure that I got exactly what I was looking for as far as pickups go. You are a god amoung men . . .
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Help! (With wiring a Seth Lover . . .)

Hi,

You shouldn't have a problem soldering the grounds, etc together. But if you want to do it cleanly, remove the pickups (cover the finsih so it doesn't get scratched), tie string or fishing wire to each pot and bring them out through the openings where the pickups were. That way you can solder neatly (less danger of getting hot solder on the finish) to the pots, and bring everything pack to where it positioned. I assume you're working with a 335-style guitar?

Jeff
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

There won't be any problem with that. You perfectly right about the Seth wiring and if you solde your pickup to the old wires averything will work fine.

The only problem I see is that the old pickups will have very short conrector after cutting them. And that can be a problem if you are planing to sell them. Anyway If they are the stock Epiphone you shouldn't worrie about that, they aren't so worthy.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, just wanted to make sure before I buggered anything up . . . (I figure I'll just drape some heavy towels or blankets overtop of the guitar while I'm soldering in case anything splashes where it's not supposed to.)

One more question though . . . is the standard wiring on epiphones the same as the wiring on gibson guitars?
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv
          One more question though . . . is the standard wiring on epiphones the same as the wiring on gibson guitars?
          I would think so, but you might ask Lew just in case. He's in the business and is real knowledgeable.
          "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

When I work on the electronics on my Sheraton, I just put masking tape around the F-hole. It's easy to remove, leaves no residue, and protects the finish pretty well. I don't think that the Standard Epi wiring is the same as the traditional Gibson wiring. I followed the schematics on the Duncan site and mine works well. I also tie down the pots and switch from the outside with fishing line so that when I'm done, I can just pull them back into place.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
            X