Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole Lotta Humbucker on Strat bridge

Hey,
    Has someone ever been try to put the new Whole Lotta Humbucker on a Stratocaster bridge?

I don't know how it can be on a Strat (I've a 1991 American Standard with maple fingerboard) because it was designed for a LesPaul.

Tell me if have you try it and if it's good or horrible...

Thanks a lot

Re: Whole Lotta Humbucker on Strat bridge

I have a 1990 American standard with 3 hum buckers in there. You just gotta pull the pick guard to see how it's routed. If you have the big open rectangle space, you'll still be better off with the short mounting legs unless you want to be doing some wood work to your Strat.

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

The space in the hole of Strat's body isn't a problem...I've already had an humbucker on this Stratocaster...
      My question is referred to the sound of the Whole Lotta Humbucker on a Strat: I'm not sure that the WLH can play good, because its natural guitar is LP...

I'm waiting for your opinion and experience...

Comment

I would bet it would sound great. I`ve used the Pearly Gates, 59 , Custom , Distortion , Super Distortion to name a few. I`ve used those all in Strats as im sure many others have and had great results. All of those pickups I mention (and I`m sure I`m missing a few) have been praised here for use in a Les Paul also. I`d say give it a shot , isn`t the WLH modeled around the 59 with a roughcast mag? I would think that would kill in a Strat
        When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Originally posted by taccoster View Post
          The space in the hole of Strat's body isn't a problem...I've already had an humbucker on this Stratocaster...
          My question is referred to the sound of the Whole Lotta Humbucker on a Strat:
          nope... your previous post didn't clarify that meaning. at all.

I'm not sure that the WLH can play good, because its natural guitar is LP...
          the WLH doesn't play at all. it's the player that plays. being designed for a player that might happen to put it in a LP does not limit a pickup to only that instrument. if that were the case, you'd not have a humbucker in your Strat to begin with. these days there are LP-style guitars with singlecoils and humbuckers have been fitting into strats for over 30 years. limiting yourself to what guitar a pickup is being used in by another player doesn't add up to a hill of beans.

I'm waiting for your opinion and experience...
          better buckle up.

Comment

My question is referred to the sound of the Whole Lotta Humbucker on a Strat: I'm not sure that the WLH can play good, because its natural guitar is LP...
            As the original humbuckers installed on Strats almost certainly originated from Gibson's (they weren't factory fitted by Fender) and were retro fitted by the guitars' owner (we're talking 60's/70's here), that's not much of an argument against the WLH. Bear in mind that the basic concept for the WLH is a rewound PAF that was done for a certain well known artist back in the 70's, so we're essentially talking about a close version of a design that was being fitted in Strats way back when. Give it a go, I think you may well like it.

Oh, and out of interest, which humbucker has this Strat had in it before?
            Last edited by Chris of Arabia; 11-13-2013, 03:59 PM.
            Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

ive got a 1991 plus delux strat that has had a few different humbuckers in the bridge over the last 22 years. Ive also got a pair of WLH's in my 335. Obviously i've never intalled the wlh set in my strat, but going on what i know about am std's (i also had a 1990 model) and humbuckers i reckon youd be on a winning formula. Its a big wide open sounding bucker.
              The only issue (and im sorry i cant remember) is that the WLH might have the old skool long legs rather than the shorter legs on most humbuckers and the route might be too shallow - i dunno, and im not about to pull them out of my 335 agaain to have a look, so hopefully someone can clarify the leg length thing?
              Last edited by Chickenwings; 11-13-2013, 05:41 PM.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I have a MIM Fender Blacktop Strat that I dropped a WLH set in. Alder body, maple neck and fretboard. I also put in 500k pots and .022 caps. This is a winning combination! The set sounds great and the bridge humbucker sounds just amazing in that guitar. As Strats go, mine has a lot of warmth to it. But to me this is probably the best success I've had in matching pickups to the guitar. The legs are short and they come 4 conductor stock. I would recommend trying it. I have since put another WLH bridge HB in a strat build and again, it's a great sounding match.
                MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Originally posted by ExplorersRock View Post
                  I have a MIM Fender Blacktop Strat that I dropped a WLH set in. Alder body, maple neck and fretboard. I also put in 500k pots and .022 caps. This is a winning combination! The set sounds great and the bridge humbucker sounds just amazing in that guitar. As Strats go, mine has a lot of warmth to it. But to me this is probably the best success I've had in matching pickups to the guitar. The legs are short and they come 4 conductor stock. I would recommend trying it. I have since put another WLH bridge HB in a strat build and again, it's a great sounding match.
                  This is all 'WIN'...
                  Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Working...
                  X