banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever just get sick of a pickup you really like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever just get sick of a pickup you really like?

I've been using the PATB-3 for years now, it's got such a great, fat tone, and up until recently I was completely in love with it. Maybe it's because my tonal tastes are changing slightly but.. I don't know, it still sounds exactly like it did before but I really can't deal with the honkiness/'notch' sound of it suddenly. Every time I switch to the bridge pickup these days I think 'I'm so sick of this sound'.

I actually feel kind of sad, it's like waking up and realising your girlfriend started to grow facial hair.
    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
    Andrew - None

Re: Ever just get sick of a pickup you really like?

"Ever just get sick of a pickup you really like?"

Thank God not !!!

. . . not yet.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Not yet, i have fallen out and in love with my JB recently. Come to think of it my Pearly gates is sort of bugging me recently
      Speak through your fingers. Let your heart play, not your mind.

Comment

Yes. My beloved Duncan Custom is no long getting it done for me. It still sounds great, but I'm just wanting something different.
        2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
        2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
        2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Yep, the Dimebucker. When they first came out I bought one, and loved it so much I put another one on another of my guitars. But my tastes changed. I didn't like scooped out guitar tones anymore, or at least not that scooped out.
          Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Happens to me all the time. Not so much because my tastes change, I just get bored. Its not just pickups either. I don't like a certain amp's low end, or a certain overdrive pedal anymore, so I have to change it.
            Originally posted by Rockstar216
            Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

I don't dislike the Custom 5, but I've heard it everyday for so many years that I gravitate toward different pickups more often than not.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I got tired of the D-Activator 7 Bridge, or maybe i got tired of the guitar it was in...
                "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

I think it's just what you get used to. Perhaps tweak the amp settings or raise or lower the pickups by a gnat's cojones and that might fix your feelings.

Mix it up a little - failing that, buy an Invader.
                  Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
                    buy an Invader.
                    It never hurts to change it up a bit. Swapping pickups is fun and a new tone could provide new inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                    2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                    Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Originally posted by Kac View Post
                      It never hurts to change it up a bit. Swapping pickups is fun and a new tone could provide new inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      No, it doesn't. Assuming that Invader poles pieces have the same screw thread size that other poles do, just can swap them out for anything else that will fit - that for a start. Then you get into magnets etc.
                      Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

This is the odd situation where I start trying pickups, then ages latter end up back with the favourite I always used.
                        DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Working...
                        X