SD CUSTOM CUSTOM please shed some light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SD CUSTOM CUSTOM please shed some light

The CC is one of my fav bridge pickups. It takes a whole lot of the sonic spectrum, so it is great with 1 guitar bands. However, it is too loose for chuggings. Go for the regular Custom, the C5 or the DD.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
      did you catch that the CC has an A2 mag and not a ceramic mag?
      yes im aware its a2 ..thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
        CC=///=big tight sound

In fact...to my ears big and tight are oftentimes mutually exclusive unless you're just talking about volume.

The CC has a round, thick, warm, SOARING sound. It's like the JBs younger brother who is a strength trainer where the JB is a "what'd you call me?" wiry scrapper of sorts.

For a tighter aggressive sound that will sound very fat on the low strings and sting on the highs the Duncan Distortion is my pick. I have it in my CU24 and run it into a Modded 2204 and Tweed Head. Sounds fantastic...and I never thought I'd like the sound of ceramics either.

I've been told that for all out girth and huge tone the Alternative 8 in a PRS is almost impossible to beat.

Hope that didn't confuse you TOO much. If I were in your spot those would be the 2 I'd consider other than a CC.

Luke
        hehhe a friend called me and said just go with a sd jb,,,

Comment

The JB is certainly an option and many metal bands have used it. However, it is a bit looser and less aggressive on the low end. For tight chug and also lead work the Distortion/Custom/PATB-2 are hard to beat. All of those actually sound pretty good clean too, despite the ceramic and higher output. My take anyway, the JB is a really cool pick up, just wouldn't be my option for drop D chugging.

Comment

well heres an update guys,,,
            a friend of mine is coming by my place and make me try his guitar with a set of dominions... ill try those with my rig,,,
            and im getting a pretty rare discontinued schecter solo 6 classic next week... which comes with a custom custom in the bridge... hehehe so i guess ill get to see whats the score

Comment

Originally posted by sunil999 View Post
              a friend of mine is coming by my place and make me try his guitar with a set of dominions... ill try those with my rig,,,
              and im getting a pretty rare discontinued schecter solo 6 classic next week... which comes with a custom custom in the bridge... hehehe so i guess ill get to see whats the score
              Unless his dominions are in a CU24 I would listen VERY critically. PRS guitars have a unique midrange character that colors pup selections more than...say a strat. Pups I love in other guitars just don't work in the PRS and vice versa.

Luke
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

you could get the custom custom, try it, if you dont like swap the magnet and you have a custom. Just a thought

Comment

I'm reading some of these posts on here regarding the CC not doing Metal well and I just shake my head. I just picked up a Solo 6 Custom with a CC and it crushes and does the chugga chugga thing with ease and with tight warmth. My fave pickup in a while and I have several with BK's in them...if you need a clip I just did one with the CC....it sounds killer...don't listen to some of these people though...wow...

Comment

Originally posted by Soiledwork View Post
                    I'm reading some of these posts on here regarding the CC not doing Metal well and I just shake my head. I just picked up a Solo 6 Custom with a CC and it crushes and does the chugga chugga thing with ease and with tight warmth. My fave pickup in a while and I have several with BK's in them...if you need a clip I just did one with the CC....it sounds killer...don't listen to some of these people though...wow...
                    thanks,,,, can i hear you clip pls? that would help a lot... im getting a solo 6 classic ... beautiful guitar..and its discontinued..pretty rare as well dont see that many around... its got a cc on the bridge

Comment

Originally posted by qaiso View Post
                      you could get the custom custom, try it, if you dont like swap the magnet and you have a custom. Just a thought
                      yes will definitely give it a shot,,, if it works for clint of sevendust,,, i dont see why it shouldnt work for me

Comment

thanks,,,, can i hear you clip pls? that would help a lot... im getting a solo 6 classic ... beautiful guitar..and its discontinued..pretty rare as well dont see that many around... its got a cc on the bridge
                        https://soundcloud.com/soiledwork/new-riff-5

Comment

awesome tone you just answered my questions with this clip! what is the tuning? string gauge?
                          now im excited to get the solo 6 classic ... its pretty rare and its a beautiful guitar
                          Last edited by sunil999; 11-17-2013, 09:00 AM.

Comment

awesome tone you just answered my questions with this clip! what is the tuning? string gauge?
                            now im excited to get the solo 6 classic ... its pretty rare and its a beautiful guitar
                            Dropped D 9-46 strings...I love my Solo 6....and I usually gravitate to shredder guitars....the tone is just undeniable... I hope you enjoy it.

Comment

CC surely has exellent mid but not prominent low, IMO. I'd say Alt8. It has big sound with healthy dose of both low and mid and fluid for solo. Or since you will have CC in near future, you could replace A2 magnet with A8, make it a Custom 8.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                                I have an on again off again relationship with the CC...currently we are off!

The deal with the CC is this...at least to my ears!

Depending on the amp and guitar being used you get a sound that is either fat and warm or a sound that is honky and dull.
                                Def "Off" for me.
                                Couldn't get it outta my LP fast enough!
                                Very "buttery",but no cut/'tude to me.

Went w/SH-5.
                                "Scalloped & Stickered"
                                A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Working...
                                X