Thick Ceramic to A5 mag swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thick Ceramic to A5 mag swap?

I have a Dimarzio Super 3 that I'd like to put an A5 in.
    The mag appears to be a double thick ceramic.
    I've switched mags a lot before, but never with a double thick ceramic.
    I'm hoping to clean up the highs and a slight decrease in the mids would also be welcomed- hence my thoughts about an A5.
    Is stacking 2 magnets advisable?-

I have A5s, roughcast UOA5s, Roughcast A4s and A2s.
    (The A2s might be a little de-magnetized- they've been kicking around in a drawer, although I try to keep them away from things.)

Re: Thick Ceramic to A5 mag swap?

A5 is going to have more treble and less mids and not have as stiff and 'all-out' sound as a ceramic. A2's have the most mids of any alnico, not the direction you want to go.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      A5 is going to have more treble and less mids and not have as stiff and 'all-out' sound as a ceramic. A2's have the most mids of any alnico, not the direction you want to go.
      Yeah- I'm pretty down with the different qualities of the mags- my question is the size difference. The ceramic is double thick (and also I just noticed it's narrower with a magnetic spacer).

SO- should I stack 2 reg sized mags?- Then what- remove the spacer because the Alnicos are regular width where the double thick ceramic is narrower?

Comment

turn the spacers on their sides. if it doesnt work you could make spacers out of wood or plastic. I'm not sure who sells spacers to be honest but that is usually the easiest option

Comment

Originally posted by dvanburen View Post
          turn the spacers on their sides. if it doesnt work you could make spacers out of wood or plastic. I'm not sure who sells spacers to be honest but that is usually the easiest option
          That would be going the wrong way- The big ceramic is narrower (and has one spacer) and the Alincos are wider, but thinner.

But I also wanted to know- should I stack two Alnicos to equal the height of the ceramic, or should I use one Alnico and put a spacer underneath.

The lingo is getting confusing 'cause there is the one spacer on the side if the mag and then another type of spacer I mentioned would go under the Alnico to make it higher.

Comment

s
            Last edited by dvanburen; 11-15-2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

sorry just read that. yeah if its wider putting them on their sides wont work. Ive read wear some put a demagnetized mag under the magnetized mag and have had good results or you could do a spacer under the magnet

Comment

You'd have to use a spacer underneath the magnet, the Super3 has the large poles that don't go through the baseplate. You are also correct, DMZ mags are slightly narrower than standard. If you cram a standard mag in there the coils will be separated slightly. It works, but there will be a little bit of a gap. Also, DMZ uses silicone or hot glue or something to attach the coils together, so you'll have to pull them apart first.

Another thing to consider before doing all of this, the Super3 is 45 awg or a metric approximation. Frank Falbo told me that even an A8 wouldn't work right in it and that the big ceramic is what holds that pickup together. I don't know how much of that is fact, but Frank is pretty smart, so I never tried it. The BK Warpig is 45 awg though, and it uses an A5.

I dunno, I love the Super3 as it is and I need to get another, maybe we can work out a swap if you just hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                  You'd have to use a spacer underneath the magnet, the Super3 has the large poles that don't go through the baseplate. You are also correct, DMZ mags are slightly narrower than standard. If you cram a standard mag in there the coils will be separated slightly. It works, but there will be a little bit of a gap. Also, DMZ uses silicone or hot glue or something to attach the coils together, so you'll have to pull them apart first.

Another thing to consider before doing all of this, the Super3 is 45 awg or a metric approximation. Frank Falbo told me that even an A8 wouldn't work right in it and that the big ceramic is what holds that pickup together. I don't know how much of that is fact, but Frank is pretty smart, so I never tried it. The BK Warpig is 45 awg though, and it uses an A5.

I dunno, I love the Super3 as it is and I need to get another, maybe we can work out a swap if you just hate it.
                  Well- if mag change was real easy, that's one thing...
                  But it's actually a new purchase, so it would be dumb to do anything at this point but to exchange for another pick-up.

Comment

Yeah, get something that will suit you better. What are you looking for that you don't like in the Super3?

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                      Yeah, get something that will suit you better. What are you looking for that you don't like in the Super3?

I wanted a TZ, AZ or maybe an AT-1- all my local shop had were higher out put ceramics- SD, SD2s and SD3s.
                      Do you think a stock SD would be a little less in your gave ceramic-like than the SD3?

Comment

Wait, I thought Alnico 5 has MORE mids and LESS highs compared to Ceramic.

Does the size of the Ceramic really make it warmer and fatter than an Alnico 5?
                        Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 11-16-2013, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Super 3 stock is simply perfect
                          my youtube channel
                          www.youtube.com/surfacexmusic
                          my Industrial music for sale here
                          http://surfacex.bandcamp.com/
                          my soundcloud page
                          https://soundcloud.com/surfacex
                          my new soundcloud just for the gear demos i do
                          https://soundcloud.com/surfacex-geardemos

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                            Wait, I thought Alnico 5 has MORE mids and LESS highs compared to Ceramic.
                            Actually the ceramic has a higher mids content than A5.

The bass in the ceramic is cold-sounding where the highs have a sharp, metallic quality that *I*, for one, don't quite appreciate being present in the kind of music I play and enjoy.

Having said that, the ceramic magnet has its place in p'ups designed to be used with maximum gain.

HTH,

Comment

Working...
                            X