banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimarzio to PRS swap out (PRS going in) Wiring Colours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio to PRS swap out (PRS going in) Wiring Colours?

Hey guys,

Hope you're all doing good. Feeling a little bored of PAFs I have in my neck through Jap RG atm, I decided to give the PRS HFS/Vintage Bass pups a spin, so bought some in. I'm at the pre wiring stage, but I've noticed PRS pickups are a bit weird.

Having made a total balls up of wiring back in my early days, I have learnt well to check before jumping in.

From what I have discovered the codes are as follows:

DiMarzio (older pickups) Red Black None White
    PRS Bridge Black White Red Red
    PRS Neck White Black Red Red

The pickup situation is a 2 humbucker, 5 way switch with coil tapping. i.e

pos 1, bridge humbucker, pos 2 bridge single, pos 3 bridge & neck single, pos 4 neck single, pos 5 neck humbucker

Would the following wiring be correct?

Bridge:

Old Red goes to black PRS
    Old Black goes to white prs
    Old White goes to red prs

Ground goes to pot

Neck:

Old Red goes to white PRS
    Old Black goes to black prs
    Old White goes to red prs

Ground goes to pot
    Last edited by Kev; 11-17-2013, 07:43 AM.
    PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
    DAW: Nuendo
    Noise: 5150
    Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Re: Dimarzio to PRS swap out (PRS going in) Wiring Colours?

If DiMarzio and PRS didn't come with instructions and you can't find any color codes on the PRS website (I know DiMarzio has wiring schematics on their site that will indicate the color code), go to the Duncan site and use the search feature to find the color code chart, which includes codes of other brands as well.

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
      If DiMarzio and PRS didn't come with instructions and you can't find any color codes on the PRS website (I know DiMarzio has wiring schematics on their site that will indicate the color code), go to the Duncan site and use the search feature to find the color code chart, which includes codes of other brands as well.

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad
      Cheers dude. The colours aren't causing me such a problem in theory, I guess its more the fact that there are 2 "red" entries on the prs pups and only a single red wire. I figure this means that it's a 2 wires in one sort of thing, but i'm a bit worried that it will screw up the coil tapping and what not.
      PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt

Comment

Bump for Artietoo :P

Comment

It's been quite a few years since I played with PRS pickups but I think the two red wires are for coil splitting. If you don't have a multimeter, you could use one for this situation. Check the DC resistance of the white wire with the two red wires separated and then check it again with the two red wires connected. I imagine you are going to see the DC resistance twice as high with the red wires connected when compared to the two red wires separated.

Comment

Originally posted by macelind View Post
            It's been quite a few years since I played with PRS pickups but I think the two red wires are for coil splitting. If you don't have a multimeter, you could use one for this situation. Check the DC resistance of the white wire with the two red wires separated and then check it again with the two red wires connected. I imagine you are going to see the DC resistance twice as high with the red wires connected when compared to the two red wires separated.
            Thanks for your reply mate. Well, my issue is that there is only 1 red wire on the each pickup lol. I guess I will give it a go and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
            X