Looking for a punchy pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a punchy pickup

A punchy feel and sound, IMHO, is more about the amplification section of the entire instrument than the pickups. You want an amp with a minimum of "sag", so your attack is immediate and cuts right through. Beyond that, gain is your friend, whether clean or broken up.

Given your need for gain and your desired EQ, you're probably looking for a more modern sound, but not ultra-scooped. Bassy, so you get that subharmonic leading attack that hits you in the chest.

You might try the Invader set, or the Duncan Custom bridge, maybe paired with a Pearly Gates neck. The A2 Pro, despite its very scooped profile, has the bassy quality you're going to want for that punch.

Comment

Put a Dimebucker in the bridge of that Dean with a '59 bridge in the neck for that Dime tone. It's got punchy bass, lots of bite and clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post

For the bridge I want something that is hot, punchy, aggressive, clear, good amount of harmonic content.

The neck is pretty much fine but could be a bit louder and a tad more clear.
        sounds to me like you'd do great with a brobucker with a 500k pots. the 500k will open up that PG in the neck and the brobucker will shout out with more openness too. i have a brobucker going through a single 1 meg volume pot and it is punchy as hell, clear, not as many mids as the JB and super clear. maybe it's the 1 meg pot but i can hear huge definition from even the wound strings. and for solos the bro just screams with venom. i have a fresh, un-aged alnico 5 magnet in the bro for that extra bite as i prefer non-rounded off top end. the brobucker has harmonics and clarity and none of the spongey compression you find in some dimarzios. it cleans up well with softer attack or the volume. just like the JB it is very much attack sensitive. if you go this route and still find 500k too dark then i'd suggest to break on through to the 1 meg side. it's like HDTV.

Comment

whatever happened with the zephyr pickup set you won? I thought those were supposed to be the greatest pickups in the world
          Last edited by JOLLY; 11-22-2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Midrange punch? A8 PAFs (also awwwwwesome for higain stuff, btw): Pearly8, maybe '59-8, Smits Ultra 7T (stock), DMZ PAF8, or vintage Maxon/Ibanez Super 70 (the idea's origin)
            Last edited by Adieu; 11-23-2013, 12:00 AM.
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Pickups with Punch ? That would have to be something from BareKnuckle, surely ?? (boom boom !! hahaha)
              Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Working...
              X