Gibson Explorer pickup spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Explorer pickup spacing

I almost feel stupid asking this but can someone please tell me what the pickup spacing on a Gibson Explorer is? I know Les Paul's require an f-spaced or trembucker bridge while using a regular spaced neck. Is this also the case with the Explorer? It's time to replace these stock pickups.

Re: Gibson Explorer pickup spacing

What makes you "know" that Les Pauls require a trembucker bridge pup??!!

You should then "know" that pups in Explorers with fixed bridges are the same as Les Pauls.

Is it possible that you may have a tape measure or ruler lying around somewhere? A quick check of each pup might give you a clue. It sounds like you are asking about pole piece/string spacing, right?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

that's interesting since Gibson doesn't make trem or F-spaced pick-ups.

Comment

Don't the "modern" Gibson HB's (like 490, 498, etc.) have slightly wider pole spacing on the bridge versions?. If not, what is the difference between a 490T and 490R (is the bridge wound hotter)?. I'll have to measure my SG 490/498 humbuckers to see.

Al

Originally posted by CountFeedback View Post
        that's interesting since Gibson doesn't make trem or F-spaced pick-ups.

Comment

Yes, the modern Gibson bridge humbuckers (490T, 498T...) do have wider polepiece spacing than the neck ones. They do align slightly better but I've always used standard-spaced replacement humbuckers in my Les Pauls with no problems.

If your Explorer has a regular tune-o-matic bridge it will be spaced the same as a Les Paul. I think you can use a trembucker, but you won't have any problem with a regular-spaced humbucker.

Edit - Here's the official SD answer.... http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...at_does_tremb/

"A quick and easy way to tell which you need is to measure from the middle of the high string to the middle of the low string, directly over the pickup. If the distance is greater than two inches or 50mm, go for a Trembucker. If it's less than two inches or 50mm, go for a humbucker."

Comment

The short and snarky answer is that it doesn't matter. Don't even bother worrying about it.

To elaborate, pole spacing is pretty much irrelevant in the sonic sense. It's an OCD visual thing for some people; that's it. And it does matter if you are talking about ordering covers that fit a particular screw bobbin, of course. But as far as sound? The extremely minor difference in spacing between regular spaced and trem spaced falls well within the normal "slop zone" for pickup poles, such that the slight alignment differences make no sonic difference at all. Any tonal changes (if any) would theoretically result from the slightly different coil dimensions, not from how well the screws align with the strings.

Most Gibson humbuckers throughout history -- including today -- have had the narrow spacing. But Gibson "T" pickups do have the 52.4mm spacing (pretty much a Trembucker). So to answer your question directly, if your guitar came with the 496R/500T pickups, your neck pickup will be 49.2mm, and the bridge pickup will be 52.4mm. However, you don't need a Trembucker for the bridge position. And not only do you not need one, but there is also zero advantage to getting one, short of looks. I'd say to get one if you want...but don't go out of your way to hunt one down, and certainly don't bother to special order one.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-21-2013, 01:59 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Yeah, the spacing thing seems overrated... I've got an old '91 fujigen Ibanez Saber with a stock regular spaced ibzusa humbucker (it's a Floyd'd superstrat!), really surprised me at first, but doesnt appear to make any difference at all
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
              X