Rit dye instructions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rit dye instructions?

I've seen some mentions of it here, but I'd like to ask for some more info before I jump. I have a sweet pickup I just got it, Duncan sh-5 will a5 mag swap. Only thing is its black/white. I need black/creme. So I need to dye the white bobbin creme. Cant find detailed info and could use some help. Thanks !

Re: Rit dye instructions?

You could just dip it in coffee. Should do the trick.

Comment

yeah, please don't dip your wound bobbins in potentially corrosive liquids.

The only situation I'd actually consider that is if it was a plain, unwound bobbin.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
        yeah, please don't dip your wound bobbins in potentially corrosive liquids.

The only situation I'd actually consider that is if it was a plain, unwound bobbin.
        I don't think room temperature black coffee would do any harm, it is only slightly acidic on the pH scale (5), and the bobbin shouldn't be left in the coffee for a significant amount of time that would allow corrosion to take place. Therefore I am confident that the bobbin wouldn't be damaged, and the protective coating on the wire will do just that - protect it.

But to be on the safe side, you could always test it first with something similar/a spare pickup.

There's also this thread:

Last edited by Myaccount876; 11-22-2013, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I've got an old pickup I'm experimenting on. Coffee won't do anything at all. Wipes right off. I saw something a good while ago that Seymour wrote about RIT dye being the only thing that he recommended. But I can't find it now.
          Last edited by bladefrenzy; 11-23-2013, 05:33 AM.

Comment

for coffee to actually change the colour of some of the plastics used in guitars, you basically need to have the coffee be quite hot, and you essentially need to expose the plastic to the hot coffee for a long time.

But it's a pain in the ass, and who the hell wants to dip pickups in watery substances for long periods of time? (and yes, I know that The Rev. William Gibbons and seymour have that Pearly Gates sitting in that jar for 40 years or whatever, but that thing looks like something coughed up by effluent waste from an iron mine).

I'd be more likely to sell the pickup and buy a new one in the colour you need.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
              for coffee to actually change the colour of some of the plastics used in guitars, you basically need to have the coffee be quite hot, and you essentially need to expose the plastic to the hot coffee for a long time.

But it's a pain in the ass, and who the hell wants to dip pickups in watery substances for long periods of time? (and yes, I know that The Rev. William Gibbons and seymour have that Pearly Gates sitting in that jar for 40 years or whatever, but that thing looks like something coughed up by effluent waste from an iron mine).

I'd be more likely to sell the pickup and buy a new one in the colour you need.
              Swapping them and just getting it right from the beginning is always a good idea.

Now I'm interested in seeing this 40 year old coffee pickup.

Comment

The likelyhood of you succeeding in this endeavor versus selling the pup and buying the one you want is very, very, very lopsided. You can decide which way.
                Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

Bobbin Toppers
                  "Scalloped & Stickered"
                  A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

just get a bobbin topper from Universal jems. they're only a couple bucks I've used them in the works just fine.

Comment

However, should you choose to go forward, I would suggest contacting Rit and just asking for a plastic dying protocol. Chances are they have done it and will tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                        just get a bobbin topper from Universal jems. they're only a couple bucks I've used them in the works just fine.
                        Actually, this is a much better idea. Lol

Comment

Nobody has seen the instructions written by Seymour ? I am probably trading it for another , but since I'm constantly building guitars the RIT dye instructions would def be nice to have . In that info he stated that coffee won't dye newer bobbins. Older ones and sc covers , pickguards etc coffee will work.
                          I've used bobbin toppers myself. They only cover the top of the bobbin and they would need to be replaced every so often as they are just stickers. I'm just wanting a fix it and be done kind of solution.
                          Last edited by bladefrenzy; 11-23-2013, 04:56 PM.

Comment

No offense dude, but if you constantly build guitars then id imagine you have an idea about how finishes and stains work. I havent read the article you are referring to but if you arent willing to email the company then i dont see how you expect any real help.

Comment

I havnt dyed any pickups before. I just assumed that since the info I saw was from Seymour Duncan himself someone here had seen it. Never said anything about being unwilling to email RIT . But since this is a guitar pickup I was wanting to get my info from the guitar side and not the dye company. That's all...
                              Last edited by bladefrenzy; 11-24-2013, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X