Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pairing Different Brands of Pickups In The Same Guitar

Your thoughts? Good/bad experiences?

The reason I ask is, I'm thinking of pairing a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary neck with a Whole Lotta Humbucker I bought a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how well it might go over.

Thanks!

Re: Pairing Different Brands of Pickups In The Same Guitar

I do it all the time. I have an Ibanez V4 neck and a Hot Rails in my Tele, I have an Gibson 498T in the bridge of my Ibanez Roadstar with the stock neck and my Iceman is a mix of TV Jones and Fishman. It is all about experementation my friend.

Comment

Phase is the only issue that I have run into. Otherwise I do it all the time.

Comment

Just keep the wiring straight.

You're Santa gals, while quite lovely, are not well coordinated.

Comment

You will be fine
          -IM

Comment

It bugs the hell out of me because I have OCD or something so I always try to match. But if it isn't nails on the chalkboard of your mind then by all means.

Comment

There have been guys that have done this and had their guitars spontaneously combust on stage.

Truth is, many of us here mix different brands all the time in the same guitar. Look at the wide range of PU's Duncan makes, vintage PAF's to high output ceramics; they have nothing in common with each other soundwise. If you have a Duncan PAF in the neck slot, you're much better off using another brand of PAF in the bridge, instead of an Invader. Sames goes for DiMarzio, Gibson, and anyone else who offers a decent selection. Anyone who says you have to stick with the same brand in a guitar has no idea what they're talking about.

I make hybrid HB's, and mix coils from different manaufacturers. Works great.

Choose the PU's that give the sounds you want, forget what brands they are. There's no extra points for matching them.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Thanks everyone. I was stressing out a little about it before, but I feel better about it now!

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken Bowling View Post
                  Thanks everyone. I was stressing out a little about it before, but I feel better about it now!
                  The only ones who want you to use two of the same brand of PU are the manufacturers, as they want an additional sale. Tonally, there's no reason on earth to feel obligated to do it.
                  "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                  X